My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 1983 318. He fired it up yesterday and it was running fine. He changed the fuel filter and restarted it and it ran fine for about 10 minutes. It then shut off, not firing at all. After checking, he said the fuel filter did not appear to have fuel in it. He took the fuel line off the fuel filter and put gas in the line, and while spraying starting fluid in the carb it would run, but only for a few seconds. He said it still would not put fuel in the filter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Jamer...

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Not a exact order but.
1) out of Gas
2) float stuck or dirty carb
3) fuel pump
and most likely
4) suction line in the tank fell off. 2 of them, one primarly and one for reserve. :trink40:

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
On the to do list:

1) See Sonny's number 4 (My guess is the line fell off and no fuel is getting to the engine)
2) Replace ALL the fuel lines
3) Clean the carb
4) Replace the line from the crankcase to the fuel pump and clean the fuel pump

That should solve the problem.

You will need 10 ft of 1/4 inch fuel line and about a foot of tygon tubing for the tank pick up.

Also, as I was taught quickly after I got here, don't use starting fluid on these engines. If they will not run with fuel they will not run with starting fluid and all you do is risk breaking parts or wearing it out faster. A direct replacement of starter fluid is dribbling gas into the throat of the carb it works just as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not a exact order but.
1) out of Gas
2) float stuck or dirty carb
3) fuel pump
and most likely
4) suction line in the tank fell off. 2 of them, one primarly and one for reserve. :trink40:
#4 happened to me this week. I noticed the last couple of mowings in the fall the mower would run out of gas sooner and only took a couple of gallons to fill it up. I went out monday and mowed and it was the same thing again....I noticed this time I had almost a full tank of gas...but no gas was in the filter. I pulled the tank and emptied it and out came the suction hose in 3 pieces. the section still on the tank fitting was only a inch long. a quick and simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
33,631 Posts
Also might need to see if the fuel lines at the fuel filter developed any cracks and are letting in air. If you have never changed out the fuel lines I highly recommend it from the carb all the way to the pickup lines in the tank. Dont forget to change out the crankcase vacuum line to the backside of the fuel filter too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts