My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 1989 318 with P218G Onan, Ser 598905. The steering arm and spindle are both stripped so looking for replacement. Are all 318 steering arm and spindle the same size, or are they different size on older 318 to newer 318. Looking on CL and don't want to buy the wrong size. My stepson says the older spindles are smaller, but looking at JD catalog they only have one steering arm, and spindles also look to be one replacement for both right and left. Steering arm is #8 in diagram and spindles are #22 and #28.

Attachments

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
They all seem to have the same spindle.the arm from the power steering will strip before the spindle,you might just need the arm?What is wrong with the right spindle?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nothing wrong with the right spindle, the guy is selling the pair. What I'm concerned about is the diameter of the axle end for the front tires/rims. I'm told the B43 model has 1" diameter and with the P218 they switched to metric - 25mm, so that the newer front tire/rim will not slide on to an older spindle.

I actually thought 1" was 25mm but it was pointed out to me that 1" is 25.4mm

I'll take the arm off and see if its just the arm and not the spindle. Just bought the 318 so didn't look closely, only noticed that the wheels wouldn't turn when I moved the steering wheel, so took a closer look and noticed the arm/spindle was stripped.

Just looked at the spindle and it is stripped as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts