My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I picked this 318 up a month back , one of the previous owners have bypassed the neutral safety switch (probably bad). You take the end of the red wire and touch the positive post of the battery while turning the key to start it. I have already accidentally started it in gear. the red wire runs down to this splice in the Main Wire Harness. I already plan on ordering a new switch all of $10-$12 but trying to fix this splice. I have the wiring diagram but not very good with them. But i would like to be able to start it with just the key only.

Registered
NC, You may or may not have other starting problems after replacing neutral switch, but we'll cross that bridge later if needed.

The red wire should be connected a to purple wire that goes to either your ignition switch or brake switch depending on serial number. You need to find the other purple wire to connect to your new switch. Replace switch, attach 2 purple wires and give it a try. Don't forget to put pto switch off! Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speaking of additional issues...keep in mind I haven't messed with the switch yet but I noticed moisture next to the positive battery terminal.

Technology Electronics Electronic device Auto part Vehicle

Also figured out that the battery s the wrong size group this is
Super Start Premium Battery Group Size 51R
but original documentation states 22R. I assume this can cause a host of issues on its own...

Super Moderator
That is it...the other side has those cooling fins that you see in the picture that PA318guy posted ...and in the ad that I posted......yours looks ok....if you replace it the outside wires are AC and it does not matter if you put them back from the same posts from which you took them...the middle one is DC going back to charge the battery...it is important that it goes back on that center terminal....if you are not having a problem with the battery being dead it is most likely ok...also on the dashboard there is a light that comes on if you are not getting a charge...check that the bulb is good

Registered
If you do not already have a starter relay kit on it, get one. Those safety switches and wires get old and increase the resistance in the circuit to the point it will not reliable start or not start at all. The relay kit detects a much smaller current then gives a full 12 volts to the starter solenoid. That safety circuit also goes through the PTO switches and possible a seat and brake switch. All reduce the current. Drove me crazy for years till I found this, 0 problems since.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you do not already have a starter relay kit on it, get one. Those safety switches and wires get old and increase the resistance in the circuit to the point it will not reliable start or not start at all. The relay kit detects a much smaller current then gives a full 12 volts to the starter solenoid. That safety circuit also goes through the PTO switches and possible a seat and brake switch. All reduce the current. Drove me crazy for years till I found this, 0 problems since.

Does this replace an existing harness or is this an add-on? what wires am i connecting to it? Safety switch ordered, and picked up 30 ft spool of blue (closest color to purple auto zone had) 16 gauge automotive wiring.

Registered
NC, Starter kit is an add-on. I wouldn't add this until you get the rest of your issues straightened out.This kit gets power from the purple wire that is supposed to be on the starter solenoid!
You mentioned that you have a wiring diagram. Do you have the Tech Manual, TM1590, or just a diagram? And really, we can teach you how to read a schematic! Bob

Super Moderator
Speaking of additional issues...keep in mind I haven't messed with the switch yet but I noticed moisture next to the positive battery terminal.

View attachment 2456060

Also figured out that the battery s the wrong size group this is
Super Start Premium Battery Group Size 51R
but original documentation states 22R. I assume this can cause a host of issues on its own...
That battery is fine to use...it is 12Volt....I have a 318 right now with a 51R in it...

Premium Member
The new switch you got in is what my 318 had and my 332 has. Have a couple of friends with 318s and all have that same style. Not seen the one you currently have. The new style is easy to adjust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I feel like i'm having to pull too much apart just to get to under the panel. The Tech manual is no help on instructions.

these arent even nuts to take off and at a real bad angle. Is there a way to pull the front panel off easily . any help would be good. i can get my hand on it but tools cant reach.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got a hold of the dealer they told me that it is more than likely riveted into place. They suggested drilling them out and putting small bolts through. I managed to partially remove the dash but still dont have the access needed to get a drill in. Other guys have replaced it but i would love to know HOW. Any suggestions or work around?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.