My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I put our 318 in the shed. I think I must have caught my pants leg on the key and switched it back on. When I went to start it today it was dead. Tried jumping it with our other GT with no luck so I got my truck and tried to jump it off that. Turns it over real good but it's not firing. Pulled a plug out and verified that.

I only spent a short time taking the air filter off and accessing the coil and decided it was better to ask more knowledgeable folks before proceeding. This is the newer model Onan engine, no points, etc.

I did a couple of searches on here and came up with some tests and procedures to trouble shoot. I am just curious if by leaving the key on there is a more likely issue than another. Could I have damaged the coil by leaving this switch on? (I did check the 2 fuses behind the panel, both OK.)

Any thoughts and/or guidance will be appreciated greatly!

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
If it is b43 and the points just happend to be closed when the key was on it probably burned the points.

·
Administrator
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Actually, it's the P-218 (I think that's the model of engine) with no points.

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
Use multi meter and check for 12 volts to the coil.

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
there is a chance the coil could overheat & die,

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
brad
do the ign. coil and ign. module test.
for the coil test you want the wires disconnected from the coil.
i believe you guys have access to the shop manuals
through a link here.
these test are very easy to do.
a good multi meter is needed though.
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Administrator
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Will do the tests after work. Hoping (and expecting) it will be a fairly easy remedy but always anticipate bigger issues.

·
Administrator
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, got home from work and headed out to the shed. Took my meter and a diagram I had drawn based on a test described in another thread here on MTF. Checked the resistance between the 2 small posts and it was right on the money. Then checked the plug sockets. No reading. I figured that was too good to be true so I checked it a couple more times with no reading. Well, according to all that I've read on here that is a good indication that I'd located the issue. Grabbed the old coil and headed off to the local JD dealer. Fellow there helped me out by writing down the part number as they didn't have one in stock. Said to call them back if i wanted it ordered or try a couple other dealers in the area. Well, I felt like I was on a mission so I got ahold of another dealer and he had a couple on the shelf. Linda L and I headed off to purchase one of them.

After writing a check for about $126.00, we headed home. I was pretty nervous about what was going to take place. Just my luck, I figured, that more than 1 thing was at fault or else I had not tested the old coil right. You know that haunting feeling like a simple fix is just too good to be true.

Got home, opened the box, and glanced over the 6 ( ! ) pages of instructions. Looked right so far. Could not quite understand some of the instructions. Said I was to drill a 3rd mounting hole in the shroud for attaching the coil, but be careful so as to not drill into the cooling fins. I could reach under the shroud and right there were the fins. No way was I going to be able to drill a new hole and install a self-tapping screw without getting into the fins. I elected to NOT attach the new coil with 3 screws, instead use 2. Then, it explained attaching the + wires to a small jumper and attaching that to the coil. Found that confusing as I saw no reason not to attach the wires directly to the new coil. I figured it only needed the 3-4 inch jumper in the event the originals would not reach the post.

Got it all installed, attached the plug wires, and decided to turn the engine over with a spark tester attached, just to give myself that warm, fuzzy feeling. Got ahold of the key and shaded the tester from the sunshine to I could verify I had spark. Gave it a quick turn and before I could see any spark the engine jumped to life! Success!

Went ahead and buttoned it up, then started it again and let it run to charge the battery a bit. Seemed to run fine. Went ahead and picked up my tools, meter, gloves, extra pieces and parts, etc., while the tractor hummed away. Went ahead and backed it up into its spot, shut it down, and grabbed my stuff and headed to the house. Another job well done!

Now, anxiously awaiting our next mow to get a bit of seat time. And a word of advice. Be very careful about leaving your key in the "ON" position or catching it with your pants leg and inadvertently switching it to "ON", cuz it can burn out a coil and them ain't cheap!

Thanks for the help that came along in this thread and for the help I harvested from previous threads regarding this same situation.

·
Administrator
21,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See ... it pays to be the site admin. One of the most knowledgeable Deere guys I know and the top Onan guy in the US come right up and say what's wrong. It doesn't get any better than that :).

Heck, I'd really like to think I got a little special treatment, but I've seen brand new members with a post count of 2 get help just as friendly and as fast as I did, and that is what makes MTF truly a great place! Everybody gets good, quality advice from very knowledgeable folks and it's delivered in such a friendly manner. Doesn't get any better than that (especially for us still in the learning curve)!

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
Most likely EVERTHING had to lined up just right for the coil to fry.The ignition module had to be lined up on the fireing area otherwise it would just set and run the battery down ORit was just its time to die?

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
... I've seen brand new members with a post count of 2 get help just as friendly and as fast as I did, and that is what makes MTF truly a great place!
Agreed, it's a great site with plenty of helpful folks. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix :fing32: If you had the time to wait you could have gotten the coil for almost half the JD price at www.onanparts.com.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts