My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from eastern Indiana! It is wood-burning season once again, and I would like to move a 25-ton Countyline woodsplitter around my property. I have been using my truck, but recent rains have made my backyard a little soft. My 318 would be the best option. I have the stock hitch on the tractor. I have included an image of it. I would like a hitch attachment that would accommodate a 2" ball. Also the hitch would have to be a bit higher than the current stock setup because it is really low to the ground, and the log splitter would be at an extreme angle and most likely not even fasten to the ball. Any help or ideas would be really appreciated! If you have any pictures of your setup, please send them along. Have a great day, and take care.
-Rob
318 Hitch.jpg

·
Premium Member
593 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Rob, Your options are kinda limited to 2 options: use whatcha got or spend $$$! I use an 1-7/8" ball in my 2" receptacle...I'm not driving down the highway at 60 mph and the combination works. An 1-7/8" ball will fit your rear hitch. You may/probably have to unhitch, use, rehitch, and move. Another option is a 3-pt hitch ($300-$500) with a 3-pt receiver adapter ($200-$300 ???). Last, fab something attaching to your existing hitch plate and to the 2 holes in the back of the hydro (for stability). Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
This trailer dolly has saved me a lot of hassle towing my splitter around the yard. The Spitter doesn’t need disconnected to use but it Does not back up very easily. I do not like bending over to mess with the tongue jack and planning the movement of the splitter to hit the ball.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
That "weight distributing" feature would help especially with the splitter weighing 35 tons! LOL

I had my neighbor weld up a bracket for my Craftsman to tow my splitter.

My Husqvarna R322TX presents more of a challenge to get a ball at the right height and not have it interfere with the rear wheel steering.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Depending on how much you have to raise the ball and if you can manually lift the ball end of the splitter.
Get a short piece of 3 x 6 x 3/16 or 1/8 rectangular tubing, drill three holes to match the three on you tractor on one 3" side and drill a single hole to accept your trailer ball on the other, that'll raise it 6". You're not towing it across country or at high speed. If you're worried about the tongue on your tractor bending, pick up those two tapped holes on the transaxle for a brace...........Mike

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looked long into a hitch perfection for my 318. Didn't end up getting anything, but if I did I would've gotten one of those tubing triangles with a 2" receiver for my 3 pt hitch. Outside of that, there is concern for weight distribution, especially on hills. Don't want the tail to wag the dog. My FIL engineered the wagon I am using to have a severe tilt forward toward his 8N hitch. I am using the same wagon. He did it to ease concern about weight shifting to the rear on his many up and downs around the place, thereby lifting the rear end of the tractor. The other concern is the height of the hitch point. Has to be below the axle height to keep the front end from going over -hasn't happened to me but that's what many have talked about in my digging over spring around the issue.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The other concern is the height of the hitch point. Has to be below the axle height to keep the front end from going over...
That is a misconception. Any height above the ground adds a turning effect regardless of the axle height. View it as a theoretical (teeter totter) triangle where the three points are the hitch, the contact point of the rear tires, and the front cantilevered over the ground contact point. The distance behind the axle is a greater factor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some of the suggestions look like a professional and expensive solution to the problem. One option would be to get a hitch dolly and fasten it to the back of your tractor somehow. You are in effect towing a support for the tongue of the log splitter.

If you can weld, all you really need is a box made of say, 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron. if you make it say 10" square, and drill the holes on the bottom for bolts to your existing hitch plate then you can drill one hole for the ball on the top of the square. This lifts the ball up 10". Adjust your dimensions accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,371 Posts
There are some different size (adjustable height) receivers available. You would have to mount a receiver the right size to your plate, then the adjustable with the right receiver and the proper ball for your logsplitter. Just google adjustable height receivers

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,625 Posts
How about a simple hitch riser? $16 on Amazon.
That ought to be perfect. Put a ball on the far hole, and you can still use a trailer that only need a pin as well. I've been pulling my splitter around with my 212, it only needs a 1-7/8" ball, which fits on the 212's hitch plate hole. I think I'm gonna order one of those adapters for my 318.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Weld a piece of hitch receiver to a chunk of channel iron. Bolt the channel through your existing holes on the tractor, then use whatever 2" ball mount you need to get the height you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for not getting back to everyone sooner... I appreciate all of the responses that i got from everyone. I did not realize that there were so many options. I am going to go with the hitch riser that has a hole for a ball and another hole for a hitch pin. I also have horses, and I use a small manure spreader that uses a hitch pin. This way I will be able to kill 'two birds with one stone'. Great ideas. Thanks!
-Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts