My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have been working the old 318 pretty hard on digging out my driveway, and I have been noticing two things. First, the tractor is really hard to start now for some reason. The starter and battery are clearly working, but the tractor just does not fire quickly anymore and takes several attempts of long starter revolution attempts. Any thoughts?

Second issue, is that I have noticed what some of you call "Hydro Whine" I suppose, and this only happens in reverse. it just has a horrible noise, which perhaps I have never noticed until now when I have actually been using the 318 with the JBSR for this project. I am not sure how else to explain this noise.

Any thoughts on this noise, what to adjust, fluid issues, potential hydro issues, adjustments to make, etc?

·
Registered
395 Posts
The hard starting sure sounds like fuel delivery. How does it run once its started? You might have air getting in the lines.

The noise I hear as well in reverse while mowing. To my ears its more of a groan than a whine, like the tractor is working very hard even when backing up on level ground. This is only when the PTO is engaged though.

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
Glockem, I agree you may have a fuel delivery issue, look at all the lines from the tank forward for any leaking or cracks. Replace any that have cracks. Also you may have a leak in the vacuum line running to the back of the fuel pump. It's not fun to replace but it'll play havoc if it's leaking. I would try to run a hose from a 5 gallon can to the pump directly and see if it starts easier. If so, lines from the tank to the pump are an issue. If it doesn't change then pump is probably your focus! Test for line vacuum pressures are in the manual!

How long since you did a hydro fluid change and filter change? You're pushing it hard might need to do it a little sooner than what's in the manual!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Its your 318 saying it would like another 140H3 and a 420 in the garage to spend some more time with...

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glockem, I agree you may have a fuel delivery issue, look at all the lines from the tank forward for any leaking or cracks. Replace any that have cracks. Also you may have a leak in the vacuum line running to the back of the fuel pump. It's not fun to replace but it'll play havoc if it's leaking. I would try to run a hose from a 5 gallon can to the pump directly and see if it starts easier. If so, lines from the tank to the pump are an issue. If it doesn't change then pump is probably your focus! Test for line vacuum pressures are in the manual!

How long since you did a hydro fluid change and filter change? You're pushing it hard might need to do it a little sooner than what's in the manual!
I replaced all of the fuel lines this winter when I installed the cab and had the tank off. I also did the hydro fluid and filter change at the same time, say around March if I recall correctly. I also noticed that the JBSR doesn't seem as strong either since I have been using it over the last 2-4 weeks. I can inspect the fuel pump I suppose, and do the vacuum pressure tests as well.

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
I just changed out my transmission with the one from the tractor I parted out last year. I'm sure that besides leaking my old tranny's pump wasn't operating like the one in this new tranny. Much more power to the transmission and the hydraulics are much more snappy! I'm wondering if your pump may have some internal leakage?

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, ever since I changed the hydro fluid and filter, the 318 has never acted the same, i.e. weaker, noisyier, etc? Just not sure where to start on inspecting these issues?

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the test that needs done, but I don't have the tools for this so I hope you do!
Thanks bro, I will check this out. You mean a ball peen hammer and a chisel won't be sufficient to fix this?:praying:

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
Maybe if you have the left-handed inverted ball peen hammer it will work!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as the fuel problem, it sounds like you may have a little bit of dirt in the carb. Pour some seafoam in it and see if it cleans it up.

If your bucket isn't moving like it was then I would guess that your pressure may be low. If it is I would shim the implement relief valve to increase the pressure to the pump or you may have a weak spring in there.

Good Luck,
Chris

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never really felt good after changing the hydro fluid and the filter. I never put in as much as it called for if I remember correctly, yet the sight tube is always on the full mark at the rear of the 318. Oh well, perhaps I am just hearing things, and I was trying to grab too much dirt with the JBSR at one time.

I really need to look into the starting issue first though I suppose, and then run the hydro tests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts