My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,328 Posts
It sounds like the P.O. hacked up the wiring harness just to make it work, rather than fixing whatever was the actual problem. I would suggest finding/getting the wiring diagram and then working on one electrical issue at a time (by either fixing and/or restoring a given circuit to it's original configuration). Tedious, but it sounds like this is a new-to-you tractor that you want to use for some time, and doing it gets the tractor back to a known, reliable electrical system.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
7,328 Posts
I would
-get the wiring diagram for the tractor
-any places where the P.O. obviously has modified the harness, compare it with the wiring diagram and restore it to how the wiring diagram shows (and I would spend the time/money to retain the correct wire colors, as it makes things easier in the future),
-work through getting the engine starting, then running, then pto, then lights/any other electrical stuff

You can do it all with a cheap multimeter, but I would recommend something like the Autel Powerscan PS100 for doing this, as I find it MUCH easier to see what's getting power/ground/no connection/what voltage is pressent with it, as well as providing power or ground to a point for testing (as well as other stuff), and doing it one-handed vs trying to hold two probes to connectors, then trying to work a button/switch...

Alternately, you might see if JD/someone else is selling a wiring harness for your tractor, and then just swap it in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts