My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 318 this past spring. I will be using it for strictly snow blowing at my sisters residence. I am guessing I should use 5w-30 oil. It will be inside an unheated garage.

I have a 345 that I use at my house. The 345 is kept in a heated garage so I run 10w-30.

Is the 318 going to be a problem getting started?? I just put a new battery in so that should help.

It does get very very cold up here in North Dakota.

·
Three of my friends
8,923 Posts
The 318 will start as good as your 345 if the engine is in good condition,some owners use a multi-grade oil in the winter but I only use JD 30 wt,but it dosen't get really cold here in the winter.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I use 10w30 here and have no issues in the winter, but as Biker3777 points out, this ain't ND.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I use 5w-30 in my GX335 for the winter blowing. Years past I used 10w-30, but when it gets down to zero or below, it would turn over very slow. With 5w-30 it's like night and day, turns over like it's summer and fires right up. I keep my tractor in a unheated pole barn.

·
Super Moderator
32,663 Posts
I used JD Torqguard last year in mine and had no issues with it starting! Full choke and it fired up good all the time! No real blistering cold last year that I had to use it in. Sometime in the teens but I don't remember anything much lower than that!

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just changed oil and filter on the 318. I went with Havoline 5w-30 because it gets down to 35-40 degrees below zero at times. It should be interesting. This will be the first winter with the 318. See how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts