My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here know how to test the coil on a p218 Onan?
My 318 book only lists the b43. NOT the same coil!

I am getting maybe one good spark right as I turn the key and then nothing while I crank.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I will check it tomorrow.

I'm a little baffled on this one. Every now and then just as I crank the key or let of the key I get one hot spark. I am still showing power when cranking but only 9v. Is that enough?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'm afraid for you - very afraid for you actually. I'm hearing control module.

A coil is charged and needs the primary field to discharge to create a spark on the secondary. That primary discharge occurs via shutting off voltage to the primary positive lead, or opening the negative lead of primary (which is done very rapidly by the ignition control module in this case, or the breaker points on a B43G).

Clean your connections, ALL OF THEM INCLUDING GROUNDS, check your ignition switch, and pray.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently they are not cheap for a 318?

I will definitely check the connections over.

I did just get it back "together" and the wiring is a little iffy from the b43 to p218 swap. (I didn't do that part)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have found the problem.

I left out the "ignition rotor" because I thought it was a trash shield for the old crank seal. :bonk:

I was looking at the ignition parts on JDs web sight and there it was plane as day on the ignition parts page.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.