My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to track down what I'm thinking is an electrical issue with my 318 B43G. Starts & runs fine but it warms up, sputters, & dies. Start & let it idle & it dies in about a minute. Restarts fine once it cools down. Assuming it to be electrical, I'm looking at the coil but not sure how to properly test it. I was going to swap coils with another 318 then realized that the other one has the P218G engine. Would it be productive (or harmful) to temporarily try the P218 coil in the B43 engine? Testing advice would be welcome. I'm seeing new coils for over $300 :(

·
Three of my friends
9,265 Posts
You can change them for inspection,could be the circuit breaker too,I doubt it is the coil.you can use an older Harley coil.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double checked and the serial is 369012. Checked & rechecked resistance and get 3.6 across the primaries (which is low) and 21.5 across the secondaries (which is high). Would the engine be expected to start with those being out of range? If not, I'll hunt up another meter. If so, would being out of range contribute to the engine dying when it warms up? I was checking at around 75 degrees but I might try letting the engine run 'till it dies and checking resistance then. That Harley coil looks like the ticket if I do need to replace it. One more thing... My coil doesn't look like the ones in the manual. Mine has the primary terminals separated by a square block but my block is nearly flush with the surface. My resistance readings are closer to what they should be for a 4200001- so might someone have just put in the wrong coil at some point?
Automotive tire Gas Rim Personal protective equipment Auto part

·
Three of my friends
9,265 Posts
That is a p218 coil,was the condenser on the plus side

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes, that is a P218 coil. The + terminal is smaller than the - terminal. There are B coils that look similar, but the terminals are the same size.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In a box of B43G spare parts I have what I believe is a points coil. It has the usual screw on plug wires. I do not know the s/n of the machine it came from. I will test it out per TM1590. I do not plan to use this coil. However, I can use a coil for a P218 motor (from 1990 318 s/n 013035) I'm trying to get running. If both coils are usable, perhaps a swap would work?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a box of B43G spare parts I have what I believe is a points coil. It has the usual screw on plug wires. I do not know the s/n of the machine it came from. I will test it out per TM1590. I do not plan to use this coil. However, I can use a P218 coil for a motor (from 1990 318 s/n 013035) I'm trying to get running. If both coils are usable, perhaps a swap would work?
PM me once you check it out & we can talk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts