My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am rebuilding my 1985 JD 318 charge pump due to a leaking seal.
#1 I noticed the transmission shaft the charge pump is on has horizontal marks on it. This is probably why the seal leaked, i am guessing. What is the best way to polish the shaft?
#2 I had the 2 charge pump gears laid out so I could reassemble in reverse order. A neighbor of mine decided to handle the parts and now I'm not sure if they will reassemble in exact reverse order. Does it matter if the charge pump gears are not reassembled in exact same way of disassembly? Not sure which way gears go back on. See attachments
Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,960 Posts
As far as I know the only thing in the pump that has to be same order are the pistons if you went that far, and they have to be from same location as well, pistons for fixed need to stay with fixed and pistons for variable need to stay with variable.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Pek, One side of the outer ring appears to have a wear area...shiny area near OD. You should see a similar area on either the transmission housing (43) or the pump housing (6). I'd put the wear area on the ring towards the wear area on 43 or 6. You may see shiny areas on one side of the "teeth" on each pump part. Mount the same way, shiny to shiny.

Mounting them oppositely will create new wear and possibly small metal particles that go through your entire system before going through the filter. Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts