My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Thought I leveled deck to cut 3".
Won't pick up clippings very well, even with power pick up.
Cuts lopsided
Really bad looking turns
Set deck front wheels to about 1-2" off ground when lowered, deck wheels, especially passenger side makes deep line.
see attached pics
Any info is appreciated

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Hello, Thought I leveled deck to cut 3".
Won't pick up clippings very well, even with power pick up.
Cuts lopsided
Really bad looking turns
Set deck front wheels to about 1-2" off ground when lowered, deck wheels, especially passenger side makes deep line.
see attached pics
Any info is appreciated
Is this mower new to you? Looks to me like one of the blades is set lower than the others, look and see if the blades are centered on the spindles correctly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have no way of knowing if you know this or not, but adding the bagger will make the right side of the deck drop due to the extra weight. You need to compensate by adjusting the right side of the deck higher. Also, if you have a wheel digging trenches in your yard, it is not doing you any favors. Stop and raise the wheel.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Your gauge wheels should be 1/4-1/2 off the ground when the deck is at the proper height, not 1-2". Also check the air in your tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,592 Posts
Did you level off the sides of the deck or the blade tips? Is the deck 1/4” lower in the front? Is this a two or three bladed deck?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hard to tell from pics, but in pic (20210611_171134.jpg) the pic's angle makes it look like one of the blades is cutting lower than it should. Almost entire blade swath looks lower.

If you have leveled the deck as recommended already, with the blower attached, and the deck hangar mechanism is freely moving and not bent, then verify the blades are all OK.

Remove the deck drive belt, then slowly and carefully rotate the blades by hand. As each blade tip passes by it's neighbor's blade tip, they must all be all in the same plane. They should pass each other with almost NO difference up or down. Then, measure from the blade tips to the ground at the 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree positions to be sure there are no low spots in the rotation.

If you have a bent blade or one of the spindle mounts has become bent, it will cut lower on one side of its revolution.

Until you verify all your deck components are as they should be, I'd put the gauge wheels all the way up and out of the way. They are supposed to help prevent scalping in uneven ground only and not be part of "normal" mowing level or positioning. Your lawn looks pretty even generally so the gauge wheels shouldn't be a factor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you recently checked your tire pressure and are the front and rear tires inflated to the proper specs? (The maximum pressure on your tires is not likely the proper amount of air).

Reactions: DAVISSULL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this mower new to you? Looks to me like one of the blades is set lower than the others, look and see if the blades are centered on the spindles correctly.
Mower is not new to me. Deck has been off for tractor and deck rebuilding. I will check blades. thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no way of knowing if you know this or not, but adding the bagger will make the right side of the deck drop due to the extra weight. You need to compensate by adjusting the right side of the deck higher. Also, if you have a wheel digging trenches in your yard, it is not doing you any favors. Stop and raise the wheel.
Thanks I will check deck leveling

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your gauge wheels should be 1/4-1/2 off the ground when the deck is at the proper height, not 1-2". Also check the air in your tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tire pressure is good. If I lowered the guage wheels to 1/4 or 1/2, I would be planting corn. lol
I will check deck again.thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to tell from pics, but in pic (20210611_171134.jpg) the pic's angle makes it look like one of the blades is cutting lower than it should. Almost entire blade swath looks lower.

If you have leveled the deck as recommended already, with the blower attached, and the deck hangar mechanism is freely moving and not bent, then verify the blades are all OK.

Remove the deck drive belt, then slowly and carefully rotate the blades by hand. As each blade tip passes by it's neighbor's blade tip, they must all be all in the same plane. They should pass each other with almost NO difference up or down. Then, measure from the blade tips to the ground at the 0, 90, 180 and 270 degree positions to be sure there are no low spots in the rotation.

If you have a bent blade or one of the spindle mounts has become bent, it will cut lower on one side of its revolution.

Until you verify all your deck components are as they should be, I'd put the gauge wheels all the way up and out of the way. They are supposed to help prevent scalping in uneven ground only and not be part of "normal" mowing level or positioning. Your lawn looks pretty even generally so the gauge wheels shouldn't be a factor.
I will check blades and pulleys again, not sure how to take all those measurements. Will have to raise tractor up. I've got homework to do.
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if this matters, I did replace the blades with Gator blades. I thought it would help pick up the clippings.

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Looks like one of them is upside down or they aren't centered on the spindle. Have you pulled the deck to look at it yet? You've gotten several good suggestions on what the problem could be.

·
Registered
991 Posts
When you rebuilt the deck is it possible you mounted one of the spindles upside-down?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Looks like one of them is upside down or they aren't centered on the spindle. Have you pulled the deck to look at it yet? You've gotten several good suggestions on what the problem could be.
An upside down blade as PA318Guy mentioned. Let's see a pic of all three blades on the underside of the deck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts