My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how the transmission and axle compares from the 317 to the select series we know today?

That's probably a very broad/vague question but I hate to make it much more specific as I want a broad general answer. Can we compare the 317 to anything of the select series?

·
Premium Member
9,794 Posts
Well, the 317 is a shaft driven hydrostatic garden tractor with belt drive, hydraulic lift attachments. What does that make it like?

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Does anybody know how the transmission and axle compares from the 317 to the select series we know today?

That's probably a very broad/vague question but I hate to make it much more specific as I want a broad general answer. Can we compare the 317 to anything of the select series?
It would be closest to the X700 series.:fing32:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am thinking the X5xx because it's a belt drive but has some hydraulic lift capability. The X7's are all shaft drive to the deck correct?

I gather you are looking for the specifcations of the transmission and axle of the 317 to compare it to the new tractors? I am sure it's rated fairly stout and might compare to the x7 on rated torque etc but am sure unless someone can pull up the specs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
X5xx doesn't have hydraulic implement ability does it? Just deck lift IIRC.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
From the JD Website the X540 has a hydraulic deck lift, power steering, and the capability for a hydraulic tiller. It also says it has a sleeve hitch but doesn't mention a 3 pt hitch. For the blade up front it doesn't mention whether it's hydraulic or not but I am betting it isn't.

My comparison to the x5 series is because 300 series was a step below in size/capabilities compared to the 400 series of that era. For new tractors the X7 has the most capability while the x5 is just behind it. But I see now that the 300 series has more hydraulic capability compared to the X5. I don't know if that makes it a more capable tractor or not just something to note.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was picking up my thatcher handle from my JD dealer today and decided look at the X5xx and X7xx quick. The X5xx has not even half the frame that my 316 has. It has hydraulic deck lift only- which is to say it'll raise a blade as well, but not angle it. To me the X5xx looks like a more capable X3xx. The X7xx is really a very large tractor- probably closer to the old 420- to me it's so big I'd really be looking at 2305 for the same money. Either way....I'd say the X7xx is akin to the old 400 series, and for there to be an adequate comparison for the 300 series we need a theoretical X6xx series. :)

·
Super Moderator
33,749 Posts
So this is the thread where the MTF members design the X6XX series and then John Deere reads it and produces it and gives us all a sizable discount? I'm in!!! Well minimum three spool of hydraulics available mid mount for front/rear use, PS for sure, optional 3 pt or sleave hitch (hydraulic separate from deck), 2 speed tranny, diff lock, ROPS, shaft to hydrostatic, PTO for front, mid and rear, variable speed selectable PTO, positional hydraulic for front and rear. Of course a couple of trim levels: standard, SE, and BLING!

OK I'm done, next!!!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It needs to be able to handle an FEL, and come with a diesel...shoot just make the X7 series but make it on a shorter wheel base. I don't know if it would sell though.

I don't know why they don't expand the hydraulic option on the X5 series though. It doesn't need a diesel option but having a 3 pt and a 4 way plow I am sure would be popular but I wonder what the price differential would be from the X7. I am guessing they can't stuff those type of options on the tractor at the price point they sell it at.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm sure it could be done- there is still plenty of price gap between a 500 and 700 series. Did the 700 series get axed for '12 like people were saying? Maybe we will get a x600 series....lol....

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Pros and cons to parts of each of those transmissions, but overall they are equal in strength and longevity.

Big thing many miss is the wet PTO clutch on anything with a K90/k91/K92 and the lack of a mule drive to the deck. That is a HUGE improvement over any of the dry electric clutch machines from years ago, or those that have it today.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
even the X7xx are a miss becasue you cannot install a small backhoe.

a FEL is great but a backhoe fills out the tool box.

I would love an X7 but I think a AWD sCUT is next for me. Having my brothers 4WD CUT here all summer I put the backhoe to MUCH use and while I don't need a machine as big as his, a backhoe would be mandatory for me... or at least knowing I have the option to add it...

just my take!

I thought I heard here the X7 was done next year... ???

The way deere reuses the same series numbers makes me think either they have no imagination or they are purposely trying to obfuscate!!

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
You ask what the 317 is close to.. well the x500 from 2009 sure isn't it.. As for feeling tough.. the 317 trumps the x500.. My father bought a x500 in 2009.. it sits with 32 hours last time i saw it. That was a couple weeks ago. I used to use my 317 lots (till i gave it to my sister) Then just a few weeks ago i found another 317 and let my dad get it as he disslikes that x500 hence the low hours on it. I use my 112 for mowing my sis uses my 317 and my father now uses his 317 and there sits the lonely x500.. The one thing they (JD) could do on the x500 is put in a lock out for the mower deck so you could add a hydro up front for a blade lift.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts

I would love an X7 but I think a AWD sCUT is next for me. Having my brothers 4WD CUT here all summer I put the backhoe to MUCH use and while I don't need a machine as big as his, a backhoe would be mandatory for me... or at least knowing I have the option to add it...

just my take!

The way deere reuses the same series numbers makes me think either they have no imagination or they are purposely trying to obfuscate!!

You can install a backhoe.. there is a company that makes one for the X7..

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

just my take!

If you are motivated and handy with a welder and can rig up hydraulics then I think you can put a backhoe on using some plans from here http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/index.html

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts

It would be closest to the X700 series.:fing32:
I am thinking the X5xx because it's a belt drive but has some hydraulic lift capability. The X7's are all shaft drive to the deck correct?

I gather you are looking for the specifcations of the transmission and axle of the 317 to compare it to the new tractors? I am sure it's rated fairly stout and might compare to the x7 on rated torque etc but am sure unless someone can pull up the specs.
From the JD Website the X540 has a hydraulic deck lift, power steering, and the capability for a hydraulic tiller. It also says it has a sleeve hitch but doesn't mention a 3 pt hitch. For the blade up front it doesn't mention whether it's hydraulic or not but I am betting it isn't.

My comparison to the x5 series is because 300 series was a step below in size/capabilities compared to the 400 series of that era. For new tractors the X7 has the most capability while the x5 is just behind it. But I see now that the 300 series has more hydraulic capability compared to the X5. I don't know if that makes it a more capable tractor or not just something to note.
You can install a backhoe.. there is a company that makes one for the X7..
When the 425 thru 455 came Out Deere Marketed that series of tractor as the Replacement for Both the 318 thru 332 & the 420 & 430
So Probably the closet tractor to a 317 today is a X700 Model Prior to the Number change I would say the X465 was the closets to a 317 Because it was air cooled. But it could Not take the 45loader(something to do with the engine cooling for the air cooled engine) But it could take the Older 40Loader from the 425 thru 455 which is what Deere Corporate Told Me Because I was Going to buy a X465 initially and as Brett mentioned a The backhoe that is available for the X475 thru X748 excluding AWS models is Made by Wallenstein http://www.embmfg.com/ and Here is a You tube video with the Loader & Backhoe Mounted on a X595 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtX5CGpDCE4 :thThumbsU

1 - 16 of 16 Posts