My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, soon to be picking up a pair of 317's, one in better shape than the other (one is a parts tractor) and apparently neither one has the rear PTO installed. I'm not sure what else can be used on the 317's rear PTO besides the tiller, which I'm not real sure I would ever use.

I've seen a few rear 3 point hitch assemblies on ebay, but I'm not certain they are legitimate. Here's one as an example. And they would be mostly useless without rear hydraulics. So, does anyone know where I might be able to find a rear hydraulic kit for a 317?

I live in the southwest, and would like to use the tractor for pulling a box blade, a little trailer, and other various light yard work/gardening stuff.

·
Super Moderator
42,406 Posts
Welcome to MTF! The 3 pt. you have in the link is just the arms needed. Here is the link to the JD Online Parts catalog with the full 3 pt. kit for the closed frame machines (as in the 140, 314, 316 (Kohler Engine model), 317:

John Deere Parts Catalog - 317 hydraulic 3 pt. lift.

I don't see a lot of these at plow days but some.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
10,996 Posts
As for that 3PH, pretty sure it is actuated by a rod that connects to the rockshaft. So the same cylinder/spool that raises and lowers the mower deck would actuate the 3PH. No rear hydraulics required.

I have no idea about the quality/reputation of that hitch. Do some searches here on MTF and you can probably find some info.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
The 3point Hitch for the 140 thru 317 140,300,316K, 317 Used a rear Hydraulic outlet Kit Because the Cat 0 3point had it own cylinder Back then and You Plugged it Into the rear Hydraulic outlet to control it . I actually have two 3point Hitches One Came off a 316Kohler the other came of a 140H3 starting with the 316Onan thru 332 Used a Rocker shaft on the Tractor connected to the On Board Hydraulic cylinder to control 3 point (y)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
10,996 Posts
Yeah, my oem 3PH for the 140 has the dedicated lift cylinder and plugs in to the rear hydraulics.

But I was under the impression that some of the non-oem, aftermarket 3PHs on offer had come up with a way to use the deck rockshaft to actuate the 3PH. I’m pretty sure that is how Ruegg does it with his 140 3PH, that also fits 317:

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Yeah, my oem 3PH for the 140 has the dedicated lift cylinder and plugs in to the rear hydraulics.

But I was under the impression that some of the non-oem, aftermarket 3PHs on offer had come up with a way to use the deck rockshaft to actuate the 3PH. I’m pretty sure that is how Ruegg does it with his 140 3PH, that also fits 317:

Ruegg Made it that way But the OEM was never Made that way for the 140 or 300 through 317 they were Made with there own Hydraulic cylinder (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to MTF!

Do you know the model year(s) of these 317s?
I'm not real sure. The serial numbers are: C317K 157504M and C317H 106085M. I don't know if that helps at all.

Welcome to MTF! The 3 pt. you have in the link is just the arms needed. Here is the link to the JD Online Parts catalog with the full 3 pt. kit for the closed frame machines (as in the 140, 314, 316 (Kohler Engine model), 317:

Thanks for the information! I'm glad to know that it is in fact possible to add rear hydraulics to the 317. I've read the main two differences between the 317 and the 318 are rear hydraulics, power steering, and the onan engine. I have a contact who is willing to sell me an onan engine for around $100, so thinking of putting that into the 317.

Forgive the ignorance, but is that all I would need to install hydraulics into the rear? I'm not new to mechanical things, but as far as hydraulic systems and tractors I have no experience at all.

I appreciate the assistance guys, looking forward to restoring a 317 and making it look nice and perform just as good as new.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
I'm not real sure. The serial numbers are: C317K 157504M and C317H 106085M. I don't know if that helps at all.

Thanks for the information! I'm glad to know that it is in fact possible to add rear hydraulics to the 317. I've read the main two differences between the 317 and the 318 are rear hydraulics, power steering, and the onan engine. I have a contact who is willing to sell me an onan engine for around $100, so thinking of putting that into the 317.

Forgive the ignorance, but is that all I would need to install hydraulics into the rear? I'm not new to mechanical things, but as far as hydraulic systems and tractors I have no experience at all.

I appreciate the assistance guys, looking forward to restoring a 317 and making it look nice and perform just as good as new.
Contact aux Hydraulics He Makes a Rear Hydraulic outlet Kit for the 140 It should work On a 317 don't see it On the website currently But Aux will be able to Help Welcome to Auxiliary Hydraulics - If it didn't come with it, add it! (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contact aux Hydraulics He Makes a Rear Hydraulic outlet Kit for the 140 It should work On a 317 don't see it On the website currently But Aux will be able to Help Welcome to Auxiliary Hydraulics - If it didn't come with it, add it! (y)
Thank you for the tip! I contacted aux hydraulics and they do have some leftover 317 rear hydraulic kits, however from the sound of it they didn't have a lot of demand so are no longer actively manufacturing them, I could be wrong though. I put in the order for one.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
Thank you for the tip! I contacted aux hydraulics and they do have some leftover 317 rear hydraulic kits, however from the sound of it they didn't have a lot of demand so are no longer actively manufacturing them, I could be wrong though. I put in the order for one.
I think He will build per request as well.. He Just doesn't Have Kits for sale for Buy Now (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Metal
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle brake

I'm definitely a newbie, but it was my impression that the 317's did not come with rear hydraulics at all, so was this added later on? Do I still need the kit from aux hydraulic?

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
View attachment 2550108 View attachment 2550109

I'm definitely a newbie, but it was my impression that the 317's did not come with rear hydraulics at all, so was this added later on? Do I still need the kit from aux hydraulic?
Well Only way to find Out Is when You get it running to see if it Has a Hydraulic leak . But it Looks Like You do need a new Transmission fill tube as it looks disconnected circled In red should be in center of tractor
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Rim Fender

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Only way to find Out Is when You get it running to see if it Has a Hydraulic leak . But it Looks Like You do need a new Transmission fill tube as it looks disconnected circled In red should be in center of tractor
View attachment 2550110
I'll have to check once I get both tractors. The parts tractor may have one intact. This is a two for one deal, one tractor in pretty good shape, the other is a parts tractor and may have one of those intact. Thank you for the tip and help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Regarding this catalog, I'm not seeing a "kit" per se. Do I just need every single piece that's in the 3 point hitch category? I have the rear hydraulics confirmed, and it looks like the hydraulics are not from aux hydro, but from the JD catalog, as it has metal lines instead of rubber. Do I just find a tractor place that deals in John Deere and give them all the part numbers?

·
Super Moderator
42,406 Posts
Regarding this catalog, I'm not seeing a "kit" per se. Do I just need every single piece that's in the 3 point hitch category? I have the rear hydraulics confirmed, and it looks like the hydraulics are not from aux hydro, but from the JD catalog, as it has metal lines instead of rubber. Do I just find a tractor place that deals in John Deere and give them all the part numbers?
I'm not sure it is still available through the dealer. The link I provided has the entire setup that JD provided.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts