My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a nice clean 317 a month ago for $1000. It runs smooth, everything works as it should and it only looks like a machine with a few hundred hours on it. I also found a 49 blower, a 54" 4 way plow, wheel weights and chains for $700. The plow got a nice coat of paint today.

After doing some research I am now a little concerned about my great find. I believe it has a series 1 Kohler engine. KT170S, 24167. I dont have a hilly property so I dont know how concerned I should really be.

I have a few questions.

How concerned should I be if it has lasted this long and has been well taken care of?

What warning signs should I look for?

Should I change the oil with synthetic oil? If so what weight?

What maintenance should I perform?

Thanks in advance for any replies. This is a great site and a good spot to fuel my new addiction.

-Chris

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Chris, the operative phrase up there is that you do not have a hilly property. Team Green had one with I believe over 1,500 hours on it.

As with anything, proper maintenance is the key.

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
I don't have a KT17 twin, but my Kohlers take 5w20 or 5w30 for winter and SAE 30 for summer. I like synthetic oil and run it in almost all of my tractors. Good advice I have learned here is to change fluids on every new OPE acquisition. You never know how the equipment was treated before you got it, so a fluids change gives you a baseline to start with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts