My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to add an Oil Pressure Gauge to my 317. I'm swapping it to an M18, and I want to protect the ol' investment. I need a 60 PSI pressure gauge that's black with white letters, but I can't find anything that isn't screw on, not expensive, or the wrong colors. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well there's this: https://www.autometer.com/pressure-gauge-0-60-psi-sport-comp.html

Or this: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/352-035/biker-s-choice-0-60-psi-oil-pressure-gauge-black-black

Both are about $45. I'm not sure what your idea of expensive is but why buy a cheap gauge anyway? If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Also I'm not sure why you only want 0-60 PSI (is normal oil pressure on that motor only around 30 lbs?) but if you can go with a 0-100 gauge that opens up your options to include those cheap $15 oil gauges like you can get at the local parts store.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh, neither one of those specs whether it's panel mount or not, but even if it ain't you can fab a mount for it easily enough as long as it has a bezel wider than the case.
Could you do a digital gauge instead? That could provide a little more flexibility.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there's this: https://www.autometer.com/pressure-gauge-0-60-psi-sport-comp.html

Or this: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/352-035/biker-s-choice-0-60-psi-oil-pressure-gauge-black-black

Both are about $45. I'm not sure what your idea of expensive is but why buy a cheap gauge anyway? If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Also I'm not sure why you only want 0-60 PSI (is normal oil pressure on that motor only around 30 lbs?) but if you can go with a 0-100 gauge that opens up your options to include those cheap $15 oil gauges like you can get at the local parts store.
Normal oil pressure is 20-30 PSI, relief kicks in at 50 PSI, if the relief fails the pump explodes. Well, not really, but it does break. My idea of cheap is definitely not a 1 1/2", 60 PSI gauge with a 10 PSI warning light that is 246$. 60 PSI guage allows for more accuracy, and makes it seem less like you're always running low oil pressure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Normal oil pressure is 20-30 PSI, relief kicks in at 50 PSI, if the relief fails the pump explodes. Well, not really, but it does break. My idea of cheap is definitely not a 1 1/2", 60 PSI gauge with a 10 PSI warning light that is 246$. 60 PSI guage allows for more accuracy, and makes it seem less like you're always running low oil pressure.
Yeah I figured oil pressure was on the lower end there, hence you wanting a 60 pound gauge.
And I agree, $246 for a gauge even with a warning light is absurd! Where did you even find such an oddball? Lol.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I figured oil pressure was on the lower end there, hence you wanting a 60 pound gauge.
And I agree, $246 for a gauge even with a warning light is absurd! Where did you even find such an oddball? Lol.
You're paying for the name. The generic one that is the exact same is 73$. And its warning light is adjustable.

I'm trying to go for a more original styled look with some changes (less bright colors, black throttle knob, black guages), so a digital guage would just stick out and be weird.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hmm, that 60 lb limit is really hampering the choices here. There's a good few choices in the 0-80 lb range, such as this one:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The manual says it's 1/16 NPT. I highly doubt that. It also says remove old oil sentry and reducer. So... do they have a 1/8" NPT like I thought or 1/16 NPT?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The manual for your engine? Or for that Stewart-Warner gauge? The sensor for that gauge shows 1/8-27 in the specs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah I don't know what that engine uses, maybe someone that owns one can chime in. Can't you have a look at the existing sensor/switch?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I don't know what that engine uses, maybe someone that owns one can chime in. Can't you have a look at the existing sensor/switch?
I think it's 1/8 NPT. It has to be. 1/16 NPT is tiny.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sam, Locate the plug on your engine and measure it. If it's approx 5/16" it's 1/16 NPT, If approx 7/16", it's 1/8 NPT. This is the SURE way to eliminate any confusion. Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put a 3/8 wrench on the oil sentry threads and they fit snug in the wrench. I know oil sentries have bigger drilled holes, thats why they used a reducer.
Also- I found a thread about adding an oil pressure guage to a 317 with a series 2 and he said it was 1/8 NPT.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
They're 1/16 NPT.

Do I even have to drill it out? Can I just run a 1/8 NPT tap through?

·
Registered
607 Posts
If a 3/8" wrench fits on your oil sentry, I'd say it's 1/16" NPT. If you, in fact, have a reducing bushing that the sentry screws into, it could be 1/8" NPT. I'd go with a direct reading gage, no sending unit. One less thing to fail. Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could I just put a T in at the Remote oil filter and just run the line from it to the dash? Or just straight from the sentry port?

·
Registered
607 Posts
A T will work, but only if on the "upstream side" of the filter...upstream meaning the side of the filter that feeds the oil to the engine. Otherwise, you measuring the pressure TO the filter...and if filter is totally clogged you have "0" psi oil going to the engine and the gauge is showing good pressure! Sentry port is also a good location. I'd say whichever is easier and/or the most out of the way of other stuff. Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The hoses for the remote oil filter use a 9/16 hex, so would they be a 1/4 NPT hose, maybe?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hmm, could be?? You'll first need to identify the threads in the filter. Then identify the threads on the end of the hose...NPT, JIC? Finally, you'll need to identify the fittings needed to connect the oil line to your gage! THEN find a fitting, or several fittings, to connect all of these together! The easiest, quickest, and probably cheapest is to connect to the original oil oil sentry point. Do some checking and lemme know what you have. Bob

1 - 20 of 49 Posts