My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freewheel knob won't turn, won't even budge. Before I get into this, has anybody experienced this before?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sorry, I was assured that if I used the freewheel function, I would puke hydro fluid all over the floor. Never use it.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
What is a "free wheel knob" anyway?

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
I think I understand now. My 318 has a free wheel lever that sticks out of the frame. We never used it, and it would not disengage. This past winter, I popped the starter on my 318. I couldn't get the hydro to disengage, and the lever would not move. I wound up pulling the rear fenders off, and traced the lever to the top of the transmission. The lever pushes on two metal ball bearings. I sprayed some WD on them, and tapped them lightly with a malet to get them down. Getting that going is on my to-do list for this summer. I plan to start working on it in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,874 Posts
Sorry, I can't help. I have the bolt sticking out of the frame above the tranny, but the knob is missing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This guy keeps calling me and telling me that it wont turn and I don't really know what to look for. he said it was working this winter and he brought it in a couple of weeks ago and had me put a new fuel tank on it and now it wont turn. hopefully he brings it in so i can figure it out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Freewheel knob won't turn, won't even budge. Before I get into this, has anybody experienced this before?
More than likely the bolt is just rusted up, It is just a single threaded piece of 5/16 rod that goes down through a plate. Most og them turn CCW to press down on the two check valves that set beneath. In the diagram below it does not show the bolt and only shows one valve but they are two and it is part number 20. Is there a reason you are needing to turn it?
The valve is there so that you can roll the tractor without damaging the transmission. They will freeze up with time. Also the two check valves can freeze up as well and that maybe your problem. It would be easier if the fender was removed as you then can get in there better and lightly tap the tops of the valves and make sure to spray them sown with some type of oil. They should work freely. If one or both does not come back up they are easily removed and cleaned or there is also a kit for them that has new seals with it.
Hope this helped a little and if not feel free to ask again if you have a more specific problem other than the stuck thread.
If the knob is spinning off you can easily double nut it and turn it with a wrench.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, the knobs not the problem i removed the knob real easy a couple of weeks ago when i removed the fenders to replace the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts