My Tractor Forum banner

317 aiding in the install of my Christmas present

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  ggsteve 
#1 ·
I got this beautiful John Deere mailbox for Christmas, so I loaded up the Johnny Bucket on the 317 with tools for removal of the old box and installation of the new, the ground was still not frozen so I plumbed the post a little, and here she is!

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a great looking x-mas gift! :fing32:

I hope there aren't many punk kids in your town, that thing makes a nice target for a baseball bat. I speak from being surrounded by punks while growing up.

Then again, most homeowners didn't own guns where I grew up! :sterb025:

#12 ·
We'll see how it goes. Not too much trouble around here. Then again, the old mailbox wasn't as purdy as this one!

#8 ·
WHAT! John Deere makes mail boxes now???????

Looks Good :fing32:

#9 ·
Can you PM me your address so I can stop by and have a look. You know just to make sure it is straight, looks as good in real life and is is easy to remove - OOPS make that difficult to remove.

If it is not there when I leave I don't have it (o:

#10 ·
Thats a great looking pic. I would have one but the kids where I live would have that tore up in less than a week. slkpk

#13 ·
My uncle was having that problem in his neighborhood, kids were cruising through about weekly bashing in mailboxes with a baseball bat. He got a piece of 1/4 inch steel rolled to match the inner curve of his new mailbox, then welded it to a piece of flat, slid it inside the box. Then he got a 3" tube 8 feet long, sunk it 4 1/2 feet down and surrounded it with concrete. Bolted the mailbox from the inside to the tube, then made a nice looking casing with wood around the tube to make it look like a 4X4.

The next weekend, 2 neighbors up the road had crushed mailboxes, there was a broken bat next to his... :sidelaugh

Never has happened again in his neighborhood.:fing32:

That new mailbox looks very nice GG, and glad you got to put the deere to work helping out.:thThumbsU

Happy New Year!!!

#16 ·
I'm reviving this thread. After 4 years of no problems, the Deere mailbox disappeared in December '15 post and all. We filed a police report but didn't expect anything to come of it. Nothing did.

Fast forward to tonight. Just after dark I hear a knock on the front door. I go outside and there are two guys in a pick up truck and they ask me if I'm missing a green mailbox. I said it was taken six months ago. He says it's your lucky day, and pulls my mailbox, post and all out of the back of the pick up!

Now it gets weird. They show me a picture of a guy holding my mailbox with a caption calling it the find of the night. Apparently he is a transient that splits time between Mass and Florida and gets his kicks pulling this kind of vandalism. The guy who returned my mailbox said that this kid ruined his brand new $10000 lawn. The police are sure he did it, along with stealing or destroying dozens of mailboxes one town over, but they can't prove anything. The guy who brought back my mailbox hopes that since the guy couldn't resist taking his picture with my Deere mailbox we may have some proof to charge this kid. I'm going to see the police tomorrow. Maybe Deere tractors can solve crimes now too!

#17 ·
Good to hear you got the mailbox back.

Hopefully the little thug will get justice.

#19 ·
It's pretty amazing that you got it back after all this time. The guys who returned it must have seen it in front of your house prior to the theft. Sadly enough, nothing much will happen to the loser who broadcasted his idiocy, and the Postal Service probably will only pursue major offenses.

What he needs is some instant justice.

#20 ·
I am pleased and surprised that the mailbox showed up.

I believe you're right about the consequences. It's not like they are going to send the little worm down the river for taking my mailbox anyway. The police want to know if I want to press charges. Part of me says that if I don't drag the kid to court then I am part of the problem. The other part of me says that I will have to lose time from school and waste my time on this for little or no benefit to anyone.

Interestingly, the postmaster doesn't care about mailboxes, only if mail was tampered with in the mailbox.

#23 ·
Well, unfortunately the police can't do anything to the kid unless others want to testify as to how they came into possession of my mailbox and where the picture of the kid holding my mailbox came from. So I guess I have to be happy that the mailbox was returned unharmed.

One suggestion the officer had is a game camera. I know nothing about these. The driveway is 500' long to the mailbox at the street, so Wifi cameras are out of the question. What features should I look for and how much should I spend on a game cam? I don't want it to disappear too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.