My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a truly mint not hardly a scratch on top or bottom 316 with Onan. Hydrostatic. I believe is 1986. Has 50" deck that looks nearly new. It's a little too much tractor for my place but my Simplicity died and for the money I couldn't beat the deal. However, I am having trouble finding out what snow blades or snow throwers are compatible with this. I searched JD and call two local dealers and couldn't find out. There seem to be plenty of attachments out there but I have no idea how to find out if they fit. Any suggestions? Has two outlets in front. Also, it does not appear to have 3 point (just leaning this stuff) but it does have a hydrolic arm in the rear under the seat and further towards the middle of the mower facing the rear it appears to be a rear PTO shaft sticking out? However, there is only one switch for pto and that goes to the blades. Any explanation of this stuff is also greatly appreciated.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
And you have only one brake pedal (the 316 Kohler has split brakes).

You have dual remote hydraulics. The outer lever controla the left front ports and the deck lift, aka rockshaft (which would also operate the optional cat 0 3PH). The inner lever operates the right front ports. If you push the right lever fully forward you will feel a detent which will hold the lever forward (more about this feature in a bit).

You can use a 54" blade with either manual or hydraulic angle (about $450 used for hydraulic angle). The angle function is controlled by the left lever (and requires an optional $80 lockout valve for the rockshaft cylinder to keep the angle from drifting). The right lever controlls the lift and when the right lever is pushed ot the detent position, allows the blade to float on the ground.

You can use a 49" snowblower, with or without the front quick attach. You can use a 47" dual stage snowblower as well.

There is a sticky at the top of the posts in this forum which will give you some more insight as to which attachments fit.

·
Registered
618 Posts
:MTF_wel: Beeorange:)

I think his 316 is like mine. Single spool hydraulics,one lever with only one set (2) ports on the front. Cylinder under the seat operates the mower deck lift.
There is a splined shaft out the back of the tranny,which would be for the rear PTO,if it had one.
I never read anywhere that the Kohler powered had different brakes than the Onan powered 316. I'm pretty sure the 318 was the only one with split brakes,unless I missed something somewhere.:)

Greg

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Greg, you are right on.

316's only have a single spool from the factory. Attachments are a blade with manual angle. 49 snowblower. Your 316 will fit any attachment that fit 300 series tractors like the 318. As long as that have single hyd cylinder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,
thanks for the feedback. Such a great site. Mine is like yours Greg with one lever and one set of 2 couplers in front. So nothing can be attached to that pin coming out the back of the rockshaft? Can something be added to it to make it useful pto. If you saw my yard you would look at each other and think this guys an idiot and all he needs is a push mower, snow blower and weed eater on the .5 acre. But the tractor is really like new as I said and I will have a ball putting things on it and make it do all kinds of things. I get to learn about something new on something truly cool. I visited big JD dealer in Illinois and got to ride in the biggest JD they make, i think was like a 9078 or something. I walked in a simplicity guy and out a JD guy. I do want to accessorize the thing to sell a complete package or keep the tractor and sell this place and move to a house more appropriate for my tractor. I like the second.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you selling the jd49 snowblower?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can something be added to it to make it useful pto.
There are kits to add a rear PTO to the 316 along with a couple other tractor models. Not sure,but I think the kit brand depends on which engine,Kohler or Onan. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows for sure.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts