My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this tractor and it's poping back through the carb and exhust when warmed up and hot. It seams that the valves need adjustment. when I take the intake off, do I need new gaskets or the old ones usaly still good ? or is there something I'm missing as to the poping.
The carb seams to be in good condition and is clean, I need to check the plug gap. It seams on the engine it has electronic ignition or are there a set of points too ? The small controll box in front of the dash seams to be the EI unit. This is much different than my 212. Thanks , Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,617 Posts
If you do have a B43 then you should find the points just in front of the carb under a steel cap. I would clean and gap it first before tearing the engine apart. The box you're finding in front of the steering column is the Time Delay Controller.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hello Mike,
A good rule to follow is always use new gaskets. The old ones usually never come off intact. I'm pretty sure a B43 is a points engine. If there is a small box in front of the carb,that is where the points are. Check and or replace them if burnt.
If the B43 has the same valve clearances as the 218,the intake is .005" and the exhaust is .013".
I'm sure someone else may have more info or questions for you.

Greg

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks , I've been reading some manuels tonite. I found the points steel cap cover you were saying. Haven't taken it off yet. There seems to be a small cross screw adjustment in front of the cap at the bottom ( to dark to get a picture of tonite )
I trying to get my ducks in a row before takeing anything apart and get in my mind what needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a little time to work on the points tonight, got them filed and set 16ths, still has a little miss.
I was running around the parking lot and all stopped. engine would turn over but not start, cleaned the plug thats gos on the back of the ignition switch. nothing . Looked around a bit more in tight spaces under the battery ! look at a them wires LOL. ok found a large in line plug that goes to the timeout control box and jiggled that and the dash lights came on and fiddled with it and got started. Ran pretty good I do say.
Now my question is ( I don't have a manual for this machine yet ) What is the time out control box for ? I could hear the relay engaging when I jiggled the wires to it. :thanku:

·
Three of my friends
8,922 Posts
That is a fuse,I think,you might want to replace the points,I have 3 of these Onans and I use 400 wet/dry on a 6 inch scale to clean BUT they usally pit and the filing dont last too long,that sounds like mine does when I file them.I don't really know what the TIME DELAY box does but is not cheap.next time it will not start pull a plug and see if there is any spark,if no spark good indication if the points are pitted.

·
Super Moderator
32,617 Posts
The time delay box allows the engine to continue to operate for a small amount of time when the safety switchs break connection. This is to prevent engine shutting down if you slightly come off of the seat while PTO is engaged. I'm sure others will add to that but that is the purpose of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts