My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a JD 316 with P218G Onan. Has 1006 hours on the meter and decided to to a minor overhaul so have some questions. Where is the knob or lever to disengage the hydrostatic so that we can push it, its not under the seat according to a search in the forum. I pushed the 316 a couple of times and after reading on the forum seems to be a no-no. Are the hydrostatics on the 316s rebuildable. Not having any problems with it but since we pushed it a couple of times just want to know what to expect if it acts up.

Have a surging issue so going to rebuild the carb or clean it out and check the float. Also will be replacing the bearings on the mower deck. What other maintenance issues should I be aware of.

I have a chance to buy a 317 that rolled off a trailer for parts for $200. The engine was taken apart and is in pieces. One front suspension spindle is broken. The starter and carb are available. The hydrostatic and frame look to be OK. Not saying I need any parts but is it worth it to buy just in case? The mower deck is mangled.

Are the starter, carb and hydrostatic rebuildable, or is it cheaper to buy these items?

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
The hydro dump lever should be on the right hand side under the fender right about halfway on the frame. It was under the seat on the older closed frame 316. A good carb cleaning should clear up your surging. It would also be a good time to adjust the valves and change trans fluid and filter. The 317 doesn't really have much that would swap over to your 316. Unless you want it for a future project or the H2 components.

·
Three of my friends
8,922 Posts
The carb is simple to clean,that is all they usally require,the hydro is these are really tough so I would just change the oil,I use tranny fluid but some owners use hydrolic oil.You probably need to remove the belly screen and clean it,that is where the engine draws it air from,use JD filter,more money than a crossover but keep it GREEN.JD Tuff GArd 30 wt oil for the engine.I put the speed up center pulley on my deck and it does a better job mowing,75 bucks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Also replacing the mower deck bearings but can't seem to find any posts via search. The 3 bolts holding each spindle are very rusted, any thoughts on removing them. Squirted rust buster on them, waiting over night, and will see if that helps. If not may just take a grinder to them. Thinking of replacing all the deck bolts with stainless.

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
Grind them from underneath, if you try to turn them rusted like that they tend to round out the square area for the carriage bolt and then are a pain to tighten!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the same engine in my 316, and I just got it running after it has been sitting for quite a while. 966 hours. The carb, as mentioned, is a piece of cake to clean and rebuild. Onan has a rebuild kit, actually at my local small engine repair shop, they had 2 rebuild kits/gaskets. Forget how much I paid, maybe $45, which is a little steep, but you know how Onan parts are... ($$$)

Starter can be rebuilt, but brand new starter is around $80 on ebay any day of the week. I see them on ebay all the time, so I don't know if rebuilding would even be worth it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Taking the carb apart, notice the floats are black, are these the fiber floats or are the fiber floats beige. They aren't swollen, so should I reuse them or get the brass floats.

Had a surging issue and now notice after taking the floats out, some red/amber particles in the bottom of the carb, hopefully this is the reason the jets were clogging. We would blow out the jet and it was OK for about 15-20 minutes, then start surging again.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Taking the carb apart, notice the floats are black, are these the fiber floats or are the fiber floats beige. They aren't swollen, so should I reuse them or get the brass floats.

Had a surging issue and now notice after taking the floats out, some red/amber particles in the bottom of the carb, hopefully this is the reason the jets were clogging. We would blow out the jet and it was OK for about 15-20 minutes, then start surging again.

blow out the carb ..I would replace the fuel line and filter while i was at it

·
Super Moderator
32,610 Posts
Stick a gas line into a 5 gallon can of gas to the fuel pump and see if it runs without surging. If so the problem is in the lines back to the fuel tank. If it still surges it is either the fuel pump or carb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts