My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 316, and the hood/grill rattles, shakes and vibrates like crazy! Is there something out there i can use to calm it down?

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Sounds like something is loose or some bolts are missing. Are all the engine mounts there and tight?

·
Three of my friends
9,167 Posts
There is a latch that the hood should catch on,it is in the center behind the battery,if it si missing it would rattle,and the grille also has the same latch,see if your has these,the hood and grille are usally tight.If the latch for the hood is there and not catching you will need to loosen the 4 bolts behind the grille and adjust to fit.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
Is this a 316 with the Onan, or the older 316 with the single cylinder Kohler?
The Kohlers really shook unless at or near full throttle, and they were mounted on rubber isolation mounts. It's the nature of the old Kohlers, they shake and there really isn't much that can be done. The Onans are directly bolted to the frame and shake a lot less. Now, as mentioned above, the hood should have a metal spring clip that holds it down at the rear, right above the dash.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine was vibrating on a 318 from a worn out drive shaft because it had never been greased and I had to replace the rear yoke.

Assuming a 316 has a drive shaft like the 318.

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts
Mine was vibrating on a 318 from a worn out drive shaft because it had never been greased and I had to replace the rear yoke.

Assuming a 316 has a drive shaft like the 318.
:ditto:

If you grab the shaft (engine not running!) and shake it, there should be no play in it. I just fixed a vibration problem in my 318 induced from the PTO shaft!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm going to be checking this too. I'd say the only knock on my 318 is the noise from the vibrating tins and front of hood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts