My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Deere 316-What's it worth?
Hi guys I'm am currently purchasing a home, and in the garage is a John Deere 316 with 140hrs on it and its a 1989. It is beautiful, not a scratch on it. It has a 50" deck and a 30" tiller and the guy wants $3000 for it and he's holding pretty firm at that. It has the onan engine. I currently own a husky 18 horse but I think a John deere or this one may be the last lawn tractor I ever buy. So my question is.... Is $3000 too much for this tractor??? I look online and the prices are every where so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldnt do it.. 316's are $800-$1500..

And, personally, thats still WAY too much when I can get a Simplicity for $300-$500 that will do more and last just as long or longer..

·
MTF Poster
244 Posts
Wow, is it the only 316 in all Manitoba?

You say he's holding firm, would it matter if several say it's probably only worth 1000-1500? (my observations)... that's w/o tiller...

What it really comes down to is...do You think it's worth it? And if you fork over 3 grand will you have a sense of satisfaction that it's the "last you'll...ever buy(need)" or will you think on down the road maybe you've could have done better. Buyers remorse is a rough road at times.

I'd play hardball, he may budge(he'll have to take it with him then, maybe an inconvenience?). You just tell him what you're willing to pay, that's all. How much do you want it? If he bites and you're satisfied ,win-win. If not, believe me, there's more out there.

Best to you in your endeavours :)

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
I think 3k is a little high. BUT if the hours are correct maybe not. Do you have any pictures?

For 140 hours it should be in PRISTEINE condition! Compression tests and visual checks would have to be done.

Does the tiller have the extension to make it 42 inches? How is the tiller powered? (rear PTO, belly pump, rear pump?)

If it is indeed a really low hour 316 with a tiller I would think 2250-2500 fits the bill (not what I would pay but for an end user north of the boarder, yes)

Does it come with any weights/bagger etc etc. try to post some pictures

Onan engines are out of business, that might effect your thoughts!! :dunno:
Since when? Considering I got a carb kit in December 2012 with a manufacture date on November 2012..... They also did a big casting run in 2003 I believe. They are still working on those parts.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/

I have yet to not get a part I needed for a b43g or a p218. I know the CCCK engines do have some parts avalilibilty issues. But please don't lump one engine manf into the junk pile. It would kind of be like saying "don't buy a ford because they don't make the ranchero anymore" :fing32:

My thoughts on parts: yes parts are available for the p218 that is most likely under the hood of that 316 and they are no more expensive than OEM Kohler parts etc. you just have to know where to look.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Sounds high but is it really?Things are more money up there let face it.However I would check it over very very close.Hour meters can stop working or need replaced.So are the hours true.There are talented painters out there that can make it hard to tell if paint is original.

There are things to look at that should be just as nice as the rest of the tractor.Crawl around under the bottom side and see if it tells a different story.Look at things like the firewall material.With that low of hours it should look as good as the rest of the tractor.How about the mower deck does it match the tractor and the low hours?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 316 I paid $1050 US 2 years ago. No hour meter. I would guess less than 600. If I sold it I would not ask less. I have only put some maintenance time into it and < $100 in belts, filters, plugs, etc.

If the machine is straight like you say, it should hold near the $1500 mark.

So that leaves $1500 for the tiller :dunno:

I think the age gives the buyer some leverage.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As stated, hour meters can quit - or be unhooked. A JD 316 L&G tractor has just the single spool hydraulics (right?), even if equipped with the Onan P218?

Ya gotta look it over.

1989 Model, 140 hours total use? Tough to believe. IF true though, the asking price is not out of line at all. 140 real hrs. on the tractor, 50" mower deck & 30 hydraulic tiller = cheap, especially if everything you need is included. [All due respect - Ain't no way ever a $3-500. Simplicity would match it.] My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Tell him to take it with him as its double what its worth,3K will buy a nice 425 445 and a little higher will buy a decent 455.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Its a little high IMO. $3k puts you into decent 332 territory. Of course, that would be without tiller but you never said if you are actually interested in the tiller or not. You could probably find a nice 420 or even a 425 for that price. Of course, I'm not familiar with Canadian pricing so YMMV :goodl: Cementhead beat me to it :fing32:

·
Registered
745 Posts
If the hours are accurate and if the tractor, mower and tiller look like they should for the hours, then 3K is not out of line for Manitoba. It would be nice if it had the 12" extension though. They are hard to find by themselves.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Tiller is $1000 by itself. You can't buy anything of that quality for $2000 new or slightly used.
I'd want documentation that the hour meter was put on when the tractor was new and some service records to back it up

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Post some pics, then u can get opinions. I'm 300 miles from you in Sask. Early May I bought a 1989 318 for $1200 w/49 snowblower, Powerflow bagger, 46 mower, 1850 hrs, motor rings and seals at 1500 hrs, but owner sold it because he thinks governor needs work. I'm hoping to open it up and maybe loctite the plastic spider or get a metal spider from boomer.

Also this week picked up a 1986 316 with 50" mower and tiller w/ext for $900. B43 Onan burning oil, was out of tractor, owner didn't want to pay $2500 to rebuild. I basically paid for the deck, electric PTO and tiller. Looked at the B43 Onan and boomer tells me its a 110 replacement short block. My other 316 and 318 are P218 Onans. But the short block also has starter holes on the left cylinder head. So possibilities.

There are deals in Manitoba. Kijiji shows a 316 in Stony Mtn for $1500 with 49 snowblower, chains, weights and 46 mower. One guy has a 318 with FEL for $8500, bit of an eyeopener, unless you need a FEL. Most others in Manitoba $3,000-4500. 250-300 miles next door in Sask I see them $1500-2500. The fellow I bought the 318 from had a 318 with tiller adv on kijiji for $3800, couple weeks later he dropped to $3500 and looks like he sold it. Kijiji Sask by Estevan ad says a 317 with mower and tiller for $1500, but the pics show a 316.

·
Super Moderator
33,631 Posts
Is the tiller a hydrostatic tiller or PTO driven one. If it is the PTO driven one that is a $1200 tiller and the rear PTO is worth $700 - $900; it it's the hydrostatic tiller then it's worth $1200 - $1500. So I'd say you really need to look at that deal closely.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Here's what they go for in my neck of the woods...

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/3843298526.html
That is a 1978 316. Those were only manufactured in 1978, they came with a single cylinder 16 hp Kohler engine. The 316 with the Onan was not produced until 1984. Comparing the two in not all that accurate. It's one of the terrible John Deere numbering issues :fing32:

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/6/4/649-john-deere-316.html

1984-1992
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/0/3/34-john-deere-316.html

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Speaking of 332s. My stepson bought a 332 last fall in Sask for $2500 with 50" deck and tiller w/ext and electric pto for $2500 in decent shape. Pricing in Sask, Manitoba are comparable to US. Just have to be patient and stay on top of Kijiji.ca, everyday, otherwise you don't see the good deals, they don't stay up long. Craigslist doesn't get much local traffic up here, everyone uses Kijiji up here.

·
MTF Poster
244 Posts
Here's what they go for in my neck of the woods...

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/3843298526.html
Hello Paul,

We're in the same 'neck' then :)

I've seen 'em as low as $650 running , $500 with shot engine(but body was great shape) on CL. The usual spread from my observations , in decent shape with modest hours, is $1000-1500. I saw that ad ,too, in my daily scan .

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If it really has 140 hours that means it has pretty much sat still most of its 14 year life. I find that highly unlikely. Who pays big money for a JD new and only uses it 140 hours in 14 years. Sounds like a paint job and new hour meter to me. BUT stranger things have happened so who knows

1 - 20 of 37 Posts