My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a 316 accept a FEL? Not a shovel but a regular FEL.

Thanks.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
Yes, JD made a factory 44 loader that fit the 316, 318, 322, 332 models. The only draw back is the fact that the 316 has no power steering.

·
Super Moderator
17,815 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good information, thanks. I'm looking at both a few year old X5 series and a 316 of unknown vintage, yet. 316 would save me a bundle and considering the use it would get it might just be enough machine. But no power steering on the 316 might be an issue.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I could not imagine trying to operate the hydraulic levers, direction control lever, and steer without power steering.

Plenty of 318s showing up for sale in PA. Maybe you should spend the extra and seek one out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking an X series is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
17,815 Posts
Well if you plan on using the tractor for more than just a loader platform. Like tilling in the long run it is alot easier to fined 540RPM rear PTO implements that 2000rpm Rear PTO implements. Then for used I would recommend the 425,445,455,X475,X485,X495,X575,X585,X595 or any of the X700 series tractors. But if its just a loader platform any of the older 300 series will work made before 1992. You can get a decent 318 for $1,500 or your could get a JD 425 for about $3,000 to $3,500. I run a 45loader on a X485. I get a full bucket each time and Have never needed the Diff/lock for loader work 2wd does just fine. I also have a White GT2055 with a kwik-way loader with out power steering and it does ok. But as other have mentioned it is a Pain without power steering. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank Serg. I did some serious searching of the net today and found a boatload of machines within a few hundred miles. 318's arn't as scarce as I thought and bigger machines already set up with a FEL are plentiful at good prices. My main focus is a loader for simple use. I've had my run with gardens. God made farmers markets just for me.

I'm glad I found this forum. You guys are great and have been most helpful. I'm going to take my time and find the tractor "that calls to me'. lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts