My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 JD 332, 2002 JD X585, 1989 JD 756, 2010 JD 3032E
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the output shaft seal for the 4X4 (front) driveshaft started to leak.
The leak started right after cleaning a bunch of grass out that was wrapped around the shaft.
I think it may have pushed the seal back into the housing some. Not sure.

Is this a straight forward job? Or better to send to my tractor guy at $80 an hour?!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Hood

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pull the driveshaft and use a seal pulling tool to pop seal out. the Coat outside surface with oil
Use a block of hardwood bigger than seal and tap it in lightly flush. You can use a socket sometimes but ensure it doesn't drive in too deep.
Check and make sure it goes in even
To make it easier put seal in freezer overnight
It will shrink slightly.
Take your time and don't force it in crooked or you will be buying another seal.

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull the driveshaft and use a seal pulling tool to pop seal out. the Coat outside surface with oil
Use a block of hardwood bigger than seal and tap it in lightly flush. You can use a socket sometimes but ensure it doesn't drive in too deep.
Check and make sure it goes in even
To make it easier put seal in freezer overnight
It will shrink slightly.
Take your time and don't force it in crooked or you will be buying another seal.

RoadrunnerII

Thank you for the advice.
So the seal should be flush to the outer area where my yellow arrow is? This was something I was wondering and hadn't crawled under my 3038E yet to inspect!
I'll make a seal install tool with my 3D printer. Made one to do the output shaft seal on a brush hog, worked well.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Normally I would press back in same depth as original.
The grass likely tore the rubber seal slightly causing the leak but the outer seal is metal. So same depth as original. Make sure you put seal in same way. Most have multiple lips

RoadrunnerII

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally I would press back in same depth as original.
The grass likely tore the rubber seal slightly causing the leak but the outer seal is metal. So same depth as original. Make sure you put seal in same way. Most have multiple lips

RoadrunnerII

That is the one thing I do not know. What the original depth was. The seal is way inside that area so I don't know if that is original or the grass pushed the seal in.. I never noticed a leak until I removed all of the grass that was right there.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
Seal has been replaced. Pretty straight forward job.
Gently drove the two roll pins out and removed the shaft.
Found the issue with the seal, aside from it leaking!
The seal had been pushed in and it reached a point where the lip of the seal that is on the shaft hit a collar or larger area on the shaft and that tore the lip of the seal causing the leak.
The picture shows where this "collar" is on the shaft, blue arrow, and is the area where the bearing rides.
After a little careful fiddling with the seal it came out pretty easily.
As far as setting the depth of the new seal I checked on my 3038E and found the seal to be just slightly recessed from the front, flat surface of where it goes into.
At the tip of the yellow arrow in the picture, there is a bevel on the inner surface of this area. I set the seals depth so the outer surface of the seal was at the depth where the bevel ends.

All in all a pretty easy job. Also took 2 gallons of hydro oil to refill.
We'll see how it holds up. Going to try to cross the JD seal to a local one which is likely to be much less expensive!

Font Line Audio equipment Cylinder Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts