My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if a 329D out of JD 6600 combine will fit bell housing on JD 3020 tractor. Thanks in advance for knowledgeable answer.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
329 cid engine will not bolt up to 3020 clutch housing without correct flywheel housing or custom built adapter plate. Some of the models of tractors that utilized 300 series engines similar to 329 cid were 2840,2940,2955,3050,3055,2510,2520,4030 & 4050

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I find one of the tractors you listed, get flywheel housing, then it will work?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I am not sure of any of this, but the only flywheel housing and oil pan that may fit 3020 clutch housing would be from a 4050 with 359. Then flywheel and clutch will not bolt up to 329 engine without modification. Also 329 does not have tapped holes in side of block for frame rails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir, I realized that problem with block, and I do have a couple of 359 engines in 484 Cotton strippers that could swap, just figured they were the same bolt pattern as 329 since most of the parts interchange between the two. Thanks for info, I am envious of you, being a former JD service manager I bet you have a wealth of information in books. I know you got the knowledge off the top of head, the graphics you put up are helpful for me cause I am use to books, either JD or IT, and not pecking on this *** phone. Thanks again TxJim!
  1. Hate to post things like this knowing the ugly truth. I guess I am wishing someone will say "oh no you don't have to go through the pain of fabricating a adapter housing, to get this and it will hook up fine" lol.
  2. I am not sure of any of this, but the only flywheel housing and oil pan that may fit 3020 clutch housing would be from a 4050 with 359. Then flywheel and clutch will not bolt up to 329 engine without modification. Also 329 does not have tapped holes in side of block for frame rails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sir, I realized that problem with block, and I do have a couple of 359 engines in 484 Cotton strippers that could swap, just figured they were the same bolt pattern as 329 since most of the parts interchange between the two. Thanks for info, I am envious of you, being a former JD service manager I bet you have a wealth of information in books. I know you got the knowledge off the top of head, the graphics you put up are helpful for me cause I am use to books, either JD or IT, and not pecking on this *** phone.
  1. Hate to post things like this knowing the ugly truth. I guess I am wishing someone will say "oh no you don't have to go through the pain of fabricating a adapter housing, to get this and it will hook up fine" lol.
I apologise for that jd110 got off track on who I was communicating with

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I posted tractor model #s that utilized the 300 series engines BUT I didn't intend to indicate that any of the flywheel housings were a direct swap. I've read where the 300 series have been installed in 20 series rowcrop tractors so I know it can be accomplished but it far from a direct swap I've read on another tractor site I frequent of a member installing a 329/359 cid engine in a 3020.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Jim, you are correct. Not sure how you would accomplish bolting frame to the 300 series. Definitely some fabrication there. Of course with 3020 being 4 cylinder and swapping in a 6 cylinder, most likely frame rails would need to be fabricated anyway. As I have always said, If you have enough time and money, anything is possible. Seems as if buying a 4010 or 4020 might be cheaper. It's a shame that the 3020 engines are so hard to find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time & money are hard to come by, as a third generation sharecropper, after 15 yrs I had enough back in 1999,:not far enough in hole that I lost equipment, not even a market for equipment in Mexico, so 3020 engine block is degraded in 1 hole where it barely holds liner packing & a cracked head(never been a fan of that 4 cyl with gear balancer) I have 4 running engines, 2 - 329's & 2 - 359's in old obsolete harvesters, facilities, equipment, skills to do. Got to try. Time being the biggest factor is why I tapped this forum to try be as many steps ahead as possible. And I haven't mentioned anything about the case 530 shuttle shift with bad engine that I want to put one of those JD engines in. If going to do a project, might as well be challenging! Y'all's input has been very helpful & very much appreciated! So please keep it coming along with encouragement! Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I have never parted a 3020. Does it not have cast frame rails like the 4010 and 4020? Or is my mind playing tricks on me. It has been 47 years since I have had one apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes frame same type as 4010 & 20, just smaller ( shorter) steel channel bolts to engine block front & rear. Connects to steering motor & front axle.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
After some searching I located a thread on Yesterdays's tractors of a thread were a 4239 engine was installed in a 3020. This engine replacement would be similar to installing a 6329 except for requiring longer hyd tubes & longer side frames for 6 cyl vs 4 cyl engine. I'll PM you some contact info. Good luck on your venture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts