My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some maintenance today, and noticed there was still some movement available on the carb to WOT. I looked at the diagrams, and took the air cleaner base off so i could get a better view, and sure enough, the spring in the carb is stronger than the extension spring meaning the tractor will never go to wide open when at full throttle. is this the way it should be? I'm used to working on cars, and these tractors are new to me. Should it not be run wide open?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I own a 300 as well. Yes, the operators manual says to run any power driven equipment at maximum engine speed. About 3400 to 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
The governor on the engine sets the engine RPMs by adjusting the throttle position. If the engine reachs the 3400 to 3600 RPMs at half throttle that is fine. If the engine requires more power to keep running those RPMs the governor will automatically move the throttle to where it needs to be. All JD accessories are designed to run at WOT which would be the 3400 to 3600 RPM setting. Roger

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so after oil change, new air filter, spark plug and condenser, the winging runs much faster and seems to hunt a bit at full throttle (governor seems to keep moving the throttle)and it throws the mower drive belt. I have to run at half throttle. I'm wondering if I screwed something up when I was playing with the throttle assembly. Does the governor get adjusted?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Down load the Kohler K series engine manual and set the governor exactly as it says in the manual or your engine will become in a short time a box of parts. The Ks come apart fairly quickly at anything over 4000 RPM and the factory flywheels are known to grenade in that same speed zone. The manual is available many places on the net for free. The surging can usually be adjusted by adjusting the carburetor main jet. Do that first at WOT and then adjust the idle jet second at the lowest throttle setting. The idle is fairly fast in the 1500 to 1800 RPM area. It is an air cooled engine so you need to keep the air moving. All of this is shown in the manual also. Roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts