My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first post after a long absence. The loader for my GT3235 has also been in storage for much of that time. Over the fall and winter, I put up a shop, and as major landscaping is now needed, I cleaned-up the Kwik-Way and installed it again.

I believe that the picture of the 3000 FEL that Kawasaki Old Man posted is actually the loader I now own. I bought it quite a few years ago from a really great MTF member in Benton Harbor MI who goes by the title Blown 4.3. I think I recognize both he and the neighborhood. Anyway, here are the details on a 3000 series Kwik-Way.

The loader itself is a design similar to what Kwik-Way used for many different tractors. I have seen brochures showing an obviously related loader for earlier Cub models, Bolens, Simplicity and Ariens – and I think there may be more. It is a stout design with a hefty forward H frame & arms, 2” cylinders (1.125 rods) and bucket widths of 40” or 48” depending on application. The twin vertical posts have tab and clevis pin retention for quick removal, the left-hand post also being a hydraulic fluid reservoir in versions that came with a dedicated loader pump. The Cub versions did not use a tower connecting brace, but some of the Simplicity versions did, and some of the Simplicity loaders also used tractor hydraulics. Dry weights quoted run from 380 to 450 pounds, depending on application, with lift capacities listed from 350 to 500 pounds. Minimum counter weights from 280 to 300 pounds are called for. One difference in the 3000 series loader is that the loader posts have an offset (to clear the floor pan), where on other Kwik-Way units the posts are straight.

Mounting for other models vary, but this is how the 3000’s series are attached: Four mounting plates are bolted to holes drilled in the tractor frame, which can be left in place without interfering with other attachments. A subframe that carries the loader posts and the dedicated hydraulic pump is hung from these mounting plates, attached with 3/4” clevis pins. The subframe can be moved around by one person. A smaller front subframe is attached using the 4 factory-provided attachment holes in the tractor frame rails. Two forward stays are angled down to this subframe to stabilize the posts.

I believe the frame plates supplied by Kwik Way to be a bit light, and the two attachment bolts for each plate are too close together. Accordingly, I fabricated plates from 5/16” steel (1/16” thicker) with wider based mountings, a spacing of 8”, and two extra bolts per mount plate.

The pump is an MTE unit of 0.4 CI, subframe mounted and driven from the rear facing PTO shaft behind the front axle. The driveshaft for the pump uses a chain coupler for the pump end and a splined sleeve at the PTO end, with both ends using small setscrews for retention. The dedicated hydraulic pump avoids the tractor hydraulics and is a clean set up that tucks the pump up between the frame rails.

As delivered, the pump has hoses solidly attached to the pump, the pump being held in place by clevis pins. The pump gets dragged along with the loader mainframe when it is removed – an odd design. I added hydraulic couplers on the supply frame port and the pump pressure port. Now the pump to remains bolted to the subframe when removing the loader – much easier. I also welded up a new driveshaft using a Cub quick connect PTO collar at the forward end, eliminating setscrew retention and allowing for misalignment.

According to the Kwik Way literature, the bucket is supposed to be a 40” unit, but mine came with the 48” bucket, which is shown as an option in some K-W literature. I was told by the seller that my loader was the last 3000 series unit that K-W built (#1025) and I believe that this is correct. This could explain the 48” bucket – they were using up what they had. One person can attach the loader using the installation support tubes and it’s not too difficult.

Regarding the GT3235 tractor, for loader use I installed Carlisle 18x8.50-8 Multi-Trac CS tires in front. They are an 8-ply tire specially made for GT loader service and carry a hefty 1280 LB load rating. They mount (not real fun to do) on 7” wheels, with the spindles converted to 4-lug hubs and tapered roller bearings. On the rear I have 25x10.5-12 All Trails. My total rear counterweight package for the 3235 can be up to 489 LBS, with the 3-point, A-frame, wheel weights and 6 suitcases – which so far has proven to be sufficient.

Man, do I love this loader as there is just so much one can do with one. The loader cycle times are quick and the lift height is about 5’, with the bucket rolled down, over 8’ up. Lift and roll controls are smooth & feather well and the bucket follows decently in float position. The bucket will dig into a pile of soil and fill fairly well, but without a tooth bar, I have not tried really hard packed soil. The whole loader operates like a slick, well-designed unit. The 3000 is stout enough for loader service, easily moving loads and stable in transit. The 40” bucket might have an advantage digging in when loading, although I have had no problems with the 48” (I am careful not to overload). The rear counterweight I am using works with the All Trails well enough that I have not used chains yet, but I may need to with harder soil or other material like river rock.

It's too bad that more of these loaders were not sold, for while the 3000/Kwik Way combination may not be quite as capable as say, a 700 series Deere, it is pretty darn good. It has a lot of work to do now, but maybe it will get a Cub yellow paint job this
winter.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Property Building

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Rectangle Triangle Circle Metal Font

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Aviation

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Engineering

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
This will be my first post after a long absence. The loader for my GT3235 has also been in storage for much of that time. Over the fall and winter, I put up a shop, and as major landscaping is now needed, I cleaned-up the Kwik-Way and installed it again.

I believe that the picture of the 3000 FEL that Kawasaki Old Man posted is actually the loader I now own. I bought it quite a few years ago from a really great MTF member in Benton Harbor MI who goes by the title Blown 4.3. I think I recognize both he and the neighborhood. Anyway, here are the details on a 3000 series Kwik-Way.

The loader itself is a design similar to what Kwik-Way used for many different tractors. I have seen brochures showing an obviously related loader for earlier Cub models, Bolens, Simplicity and Ariens – and I think there may be more. It is a stout design with a hefty forward H frame & arms, 2” cylinders (1.125 rods) and bucket widths of 40” or 48” depending on application. The twin vertical posts have tab and clevis pin retention for quick removal, the left-hand post also being a hydraulic fluid reservoir in versions that came with a dedicated loader pump. The Cub versions did not use a tower connecting brace, but some of the Simplicity versions did, and some of the Simplicity loaders also used tractor hydraulics. Dry weights quoted run from 380 to 450 pounds, depending on application, with lift capacities listed from 350 to 500 pounds. Minimum counter weights from 280 to 300 pounds are called for. One difference in the 3000 series loader is that the loader posts have an offset (to clear the floor pan), where on other Kwik-Way units the posts are straight.

Mounting for other models vary, but this is how the 3000’s series are attached: Four mounting plates are bolted to holes drilled in the tractor frame, which can be left in place without interfering with other attachments. A subframe that carries the loader posts and the dedicated hydraulic pump is hung from these mounting plates, attached with 3/4” clevis pins. The subframe can be moved around by one person. A smaller front subframe is attached using the 4 factory-provided attachment holes in the tractor frame rails. Two forward stays are angled down to this subframe to stabilize the posts.

I believe the frame plates supplied by Kwik Way to be a bit light, and the two attachment bolts for each plate are too close together. Accordingly, I fabricated plates from 5/16” steel (1/16” thicker) with wider based mountings, a spacing of 8”, and two extra bolts per mount plate.

The pump is an MTE unit of 0.4 CI, subframe mounted and driven from the rear facing PTO shaft behind the front axle. The driveshaft for the pump uses a chain coupler for the pump end and a splined sleeve at the PTO end, with both ends using small setscrews for retention. The dedicated hydraulic pump avoids the tractor hydraulics and is a clean set up that tucks the pump up between the frame rails.

As delivered, the pump has hoses solidly attached to the pump, the pump being held in place by clevis pins. The pump gets dragged along with the loader mainframe when it is removed – an odd design. I added hydraulic couplers on the supply frame port and the pump pressure port. Now the pump to remains bolted to the subframe when removing the loader – much easier. I also welded up a new driveshaft using a Cub quick connect PTO collar at the forward end, eliminating setscrew retention and allowing for misalignment.

According to the Kwik Way literature, the bucket is supposed to be a 40” unit, but mine came with the 48” bucket, which is shown as an option in some K-W literature. I was told by the seller that my loader was the last 3000 series unit that K-W built (#1025) and I believe that this is correct. This could explain the 48” bucket – they were using up what they had. One person can attach the loader using the installation support tubes and it’s not too difficult.

Regarding the GT3235 tractor, for loader use I installed Carlisle 18x8.50-8 Multi-Trac CS tires in front. They are an 8-ply tire specially made for GT loader service and carry a hefty 1280 LB load rating. They mount (not real fun to do) on 7” wheels, with the spindles converted to 4-lug hubs and tapered roller bearings. On the rear I have 25x10.5-12 All Trails. My total rear counterweight package for the 3235 can be up to 489 LBS, with the 3-point, A-frame, wheel weights and 6 suitcases – which so far has proven to be sufficient.

Man, do I love this loader as there is just so much one can do with one. The loader cycle times are quick and the lift height is about 5’, with the bucket rolled down, over 8’ up. Lift and roll controls are smooth & feather well and the bucket follows decently in float position. The bucket will dig into a pile of soil and fill fairly well, but without a tooth bar, I have not tried really hard packed soil. The whole loader operates like a slick, well-designed unit. The 3000 is stout enough for loader service, easily moving loads and stable in transit. The 40” bucket might have an advantage digging in when loading, although I have had no problems with the 48” (I am careful not to overload). The rear counterweight I am using works with the All Trails well enough that I have not used chains yet, but I may need to with harder soil or other material like river rock.

It's too bad that more of these loaders were not sold, for while the 3000/Kwik Way combination may not be quite as capable as say, a 700 series Deere, it is pretty darn good. It has a lot of work to do now, but maybe it will get a Cub yellow paint job this
winter.

View attachment 2560582

View attachment 2560583

View attachment 2560585

View attachment 2560586

View attachment 2560588

View attachment 2560591

View attachment 2560592

View attachment 2560595

View attachment 2560596

View attachment 2560598
I wish Kwik-way had Put the Pump On the Mid-PTO for the White GT2055, But it was On the front PTO stub shaft

My white GT2055 and Kwik-way Loader our down the street at My Brother House. He only uses it for snow removal, It's On semi Permanent Loan to Him

The Only thing I Miss about My Kwik-way is It had Faster cycled Times then my 45 Loader, and they also Made Forks and a Front Blade and a Manure fork with Dirt Plate for their Kwik-way Loaders Other than that, I do not miss the Time It took to Put on or Take off, Probably 25 to 30 Minutes. Where the 45 Loader can be on in off In Less than 5 Minutes. The Only Issue I ever Had with it was In assembly The Loader sub frame didn't Match Up with a Hole In the front Frame Bracket . Had to slightly enlarge the Hole. But other than that it was and still is a good Loader

I remember when He said that was the Last Kwik-way for the 3000 series made. Found out from Don, the former President of Kwik-way that was Not actually the Case as They continued to build all Parts for The Cub Cadet 3000 series Loader for several More Years. It was the last fully assembled Loader On a Pallet they had at the time that was ready to ship. Found out if You Had requested it They could Have Had a fully assembled 3000 series Loader ready to go within 1 week, This was a year or 2 Later than when That other Member Bought it. They Just were Not assembling the Loaders to Be stacked and ready to ship for the 3000 series as It Just wasn't a Popular Model But Part of the reason was MTD didn't really Push the Kwik-way Loader Like they had done for the Previous Super Garden tractors and Once He sold to Hitch doc They really didn't Market the Loaders, or Put Much Into Newer design for Tractors other than Simplicity. Hitch doc really wanted it for the Front Blades and Not the Loaders & Backhoes. Though Hitch Doc did Honor the Long term contact Don had made with Kwik-way, But there were a Lot Of Production issues with the Backhoe re-design and Simplicity ended Up using Wallenstein to fill the Gap on the Backhoe during the last few Years Of the Legacy XL Production

(y)

Reactions: UrbanTractor

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
I am just outside of Fond du Lac, where are you located?
Boy for some reason I thought You were closer to the Boarder Because I Know You use to travel to Rob Houtz's Place In Elburn, IL for Parts sometimes In the Past

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were still Producing Kwik-way Loaders Until spring of this Year 2022 for Simplicity. They still Make a Tow Behind Backhoe PRODUCTS | Kwik-Way, A HitchDoc Company

Hitch doc Purchased Kwik-way In 2016 Our Facilities | HitchDoc Kwikway is still at 800 s Marion road Sioux falls SD (y)
Interesting. I found the Kwik-Way website a while back and thought they were out of the business, as their website did not mention building for Simplicity. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
As I Look at that loader On Your Cub I shouldn't have been so cheap In 1999 and Bought the White GT2055. I could Have afforded a 3225 with a Kwik-way Loader Back then. But the White was $3,800 Plus another $800 for deck and another $2,500 for Kwik-way Loader There were two issue with the White No Power steering and a Hand Lever for the Hydrostatic Transmission control and that Hand control was on the same side as the Loader Levers. But I guess what really sold me on the White was the standard Cat 0 3point hitch at the time (y)

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
Interesting. I found the Kwik-Way website a while back and thought they were out of the business, as their website did not mention building for Simplicity. Thanks!
Once Hitch Doc took over, they really didn't Market the Loaders On the website. Because, I don't think they wanted Kwik-way for its Products. They wanted Kwik-way more for its Production facilities in the same Town as their other Product facility (y)

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
I'm in Bear Creek just south of Clintonville, or 35 miles west of Green Bay.

Bill
Hey shouldn't this Be the Machine brand You should be working on a Loader for
Tire Wheel Riding mower Vehicle Automotive tire

Instead of a rival Brand that was started In Chicago :ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in Bear Creek just south of Clintonville, or 35 miles west of Green Bay.

Bill
I go through Bear Creek from time to time on my way to the Shawano flea market. I also grew up just to the west in New London so I used to go through Bear Creek at lot. If you ever get close to Fond du Lac in your travels, let me know - I would like to have you visit my chaos.

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
Actually I like Simplicity tractors, especially the garden tractors. However the die is cast, I am a Cub guy - and too invested to go elsewhere!
That Post Had more to do with the Fact he is so close to Green Bay, Or as some would say enemy territory. Though I have actually been to a Green Bay game and I have Never Been to Soldier Field for a Bears Game. I'll go to a Bears game when They Finally have the New stadium In Arlington Heights, IL, which Might actually be a dome

I always will be a Deere Guy first and a Cub Guy second, even though I got to see several IH Cub Cadet series Before the Public ever saw them at their dealers or dealer shows or even the final Production line had started Building them on a Mass scale The Unofficial IH Cub Cadet test Yard was in Unincorporated, Glen Ellyn, IL (y)

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
Actually I'm not a fan of any sports team. Tell me what the score is after a game and I know all I need to know. I haven't watched an entire football game in over 30 years.

Bill
The Last football Game I went to was Army Vrs Navy in 1999 as I had a West Pointer Lt. Colonel that Made it Mandatory the whole Battalion went. I went to a Green Bay Game In 1979 as the girlfriends Father has a Cabin In Door county and was a Big Green Bay Fan . I don't watch sports . They have always been Boring to me to watch (y)

Reactions: Kawasaki Old Man
1 - 20 of 28 Posts