My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The sheet of UHMW came in Saturday, I'll do some layout work and get some pictures. I think this is going to work really well. I'm planning on using large head aluminum pop rivets (old Polaris and Arctic Cat track style) with maybe 2 under the sweep area. I will countersink them, but being aluminum even if UHWM wears down to them they won't groove the yoke.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
The sheet of UHMW came in Saturday, I'll do some layout work and get some pictures. I think this is going to work really well. I'm planning on using large head aluminum pop rivets (old Polaris and Arctic Cat track style) with maybe 2 under the sweep area. I will countersink them, but being aluminum even if UHWM wears down to them they won't groove the yoke.

Bill
Bill if you want to use the tightest, toughest alum pop rivets, buy Avdels. They have a steel shank crimped into the end of them and pull the end up towards the hole instead of just pulling the ball into the body. The back side ends up being a ball of aluminum ~1/8" long and 1/4" in diameter. Available at any trailer shop near you or maybe at a Fastenall.

Below you can see the difference in a regular pop rivet and a big head Avdel. I'd send you some but I only have a couple.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here is one side done. Tolerances are so close I just used self-etching primer and a thin coat of black under the UHMW material. The other side ended up needing a slightly thicker piece, so am waiting for a 10mm thick sheet. Everything is snug but movable, I think it will work really well for what I want a front hitch to do.

Bill
DSC_2520.JPG
DSC_2524.JPG
DSC_2527.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Here is one side done. Tolerances are so close I just used self-etching primer and a thin coat of black under the UHMW material. The other side ended up needing a slightly thicker piece, so am waiting for a 10mm thick sheet. Everything is snug but movable, I think it will work really well for what I want a front hitch to do.

Bill
View attachment 2445230 View attachment 2445231 View attachment 2445232
Looks like a nice upgrade to the hitch. Should last a long time like that.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts