I actually found a 1/4" thick sheet - 12"x 15" for $21, free shipping. That will be big enough for both sides.
Bill if you want to use the tightest, toughest alum pop rivets, buy Avdels. They have a steel shank crimped into the end of them and pull the end up towards the hole instead of just pulling the ball into the body. The back side ends up being a ball of aluminum ~1/8" long and 1/4" in diameter. Available at any trailer shop near you or maybe at a Fastenall.The sheet of UHMW came in Saturday, I'll do some layout work and get some pictures. I think this is going to work really well. I'm planning on using large head aluminum pop rivets (old Polaris and Arctic Cat track style) with maybe 2 under the sweep area. I will countersink them, but being aluminum even if UHWM wears down to them they won't groove the yoke.
Looks like a nice upgrade to the hitch. Should last a long time like that.Here is one side done. Tolerances are so close I just used self-etching primer and a thin coat of black under the UHMW material. The other side ended up needing a slightly thicker piece, so am waiting for a 10mm thick sheet. Everything is snug but movable, I think it will work really well for what I want a front hitch to do.
View attachment 2445230 View attachment 2445231 View attachment 2445232
I wondered about that. My exhaust was completely behind the hitch when I mounted it. I thought that couldn't possibly be right. When I built my loader hitch I hole-sawed a hole in it for the exhaust.Hey guys, it has finally warmed up enough that I can get some things done outside. But with the stay at home order here in Wisconsin, my wife is home too. So the honey-do list grows exponentially. (Nuf said) I did manage to get the front hitch frame installed yesterday and fixed a pet peeve of mine with front hitches. Almost all front hitches on 3000 series have an exhaust burn/discoloration mark after they have been used for 10 minutes, and I don't like that. So being old and retired, with time to do something about it, I did. Many of the exhaust pipes seem to get bent or are just poorly speced during manufacture, so I heated the exhaust tube and twisted the outlet forward so it was totally clear of the hitch frame, I massaged the end round again and found some chrome tube that was close to the size of the exhaust. With a little body hammer shaping, I now have a chrome exhaust tip that completely clears the hitch frame.
The final connection of the hydraulics will be coming, but when I take the sheet metal off the Cub for that, it will get all body work and paint done also.
Bill View attachment 2451536
I use my forks and a pallet all the time. Easier to haul long brush than chop it down to go in a cart.I plan on building a thatcher, a sod cutter/edger for making a paving stone pathway around the house. I will remodel a set of forks for moving things around the yard.