My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to start discussions about the edgy stuff,
But I dont want anyone to loose their compulsion but I have wondered for years when all of the "new" ( mostly not new anymore ) cartridges are gonna slow down a bit.
Seems like all someone has to do is think "Hey I bet that would be a good one!" and all of a sudden theres a new cartridge to think of as if keeping the ones you already have guns in stocked-up ( 1.000 rds. min for anything if so called fat hits the fire) isnt hard enuf for most of us.
I guess there is like two kinds of gun folks, I look at most of it in a survivalist view and a non trust for our 'Gummitt' in thinking one day they could make things real rough on gun enthusiast because they may not be able to put the whammy on firearms there is nothing in the 2 nd. about having to provide ammunition for anything or taxing it 500%.
This is why I stick to military cals. exept for personal carry guns. Oh I almost forgot, the other kind of gun euthusiest is someone who buys and shoots because they like it and like to shoot and try different cals., nothing wrong w/that.
But getting back to the many cals that keep coming out every month it seems whats with all that?
Is a .300 Blk Out really much diff than a .30-30 w/a spitzer bullet and a cool name? And all the 6.5 stuff, hasnt that been around for decades and decades? I dont know, I just dont see all the usefulness exept to fill gun magazine pages. They have to have something to write about.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
I like to start discussions about the edgy stuff,
But I dont want anyone to loose their compulsion but I have wondered for years when all of the "new" ( mostly not new anymore ) cartridges are gonna slow down a bit.
Seems like all someone has to do is think "Hey I bet that would be a good one!" and all of a sudden theres a new cartridge to think of as if keeping the ones you already have guns in stocked-up ( 1.000 rds. min for anything if so called fat hits the fire) isnt hard enuf for most of us.
I guess there is like two kinds of gun folks, I look at most of it in a survivalist view and a non trust for our 'Gummitt' in thinking one day they could make things real rough on gun enthusiast because they may not be able to put the whammy on firearms there is nothing in the 2 nd. about having to provide ammunition for anything or taxing it 500%.
This is why I stick to military cals. exept for personal carry guns. Oh I almost forgot, the other kind of gun euthusiest is someone who buys and shoots because they like it and like to shoot and try different cals., nothing wrong w/that.
But getting back to the many cals that keep coming out every month it seems whats with all that?
Is a .300 Blk Out really much diff than a .30-30 w/a spitzer bullet and a cool name? And all the 6.5 stuff, hasnt that been around for decades and decades? I dont know, I just dont see all the usefulness exept to fill gun magazine pages. They have to have something to write about.
Gerrard, I am only gonna address the .300BLK b/c I know it very well and I'll tell ya what I love about it. Originally it was developed for the AR platform as a way of using standard 5.56 magazines and having a .30 caliber cartridge that can be shot supersonic or suppressed. Just takes an upper receiver change and you're off.

Now, what I love about it is it is a reloaders dream. I can buy cheap 5.56 brass, cut it off and run it thru my reloading die and I have .300 BLK brass. any .308 cal bullet will work in the case so there are hundreds of bullet choices available cheap as well as military pulled bullets.

I can reload it to 30-30 velocities or as slow as .380 ACP/.38SPL velocities for plinking or super quiet rounds to dispatch varmints or anything in between with bullets from 86gr all the way to 250gr. It costs me about the same to reload it as it costs to buy .22LR ammo.

I don't care about ARs and have my single shot so I can load any bullet that's .30 caliber in my cases and not have to worry about cycling.

Some examples: I load 90gr XTP bullets at 900fps for armadillo control and they sound like an air rifle thru my suppressor.

I load the same bullet at 2400fps to blow the heII out of anything I point it at lol. Pistol bullets at that velocity are like dynamite. 110-125 grain bullets at 2200fps are deer medicine. Cheap plated bullets at 900 fps for plinking steel. I load the .30 carbine 110gr and 150gr flat point plated bullets for cheap plinking at 750-900fps.

My godson will plink all day long with my .300BLK over my AR. It's quiet and doesn't kick and he hits anything he aims it at so he loves it.

That's why I love the blackout. You can outperform it with many .30cal cartridges but I can't think of any other that is as versatile as it is.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gerrard, I am only gonna address the .300BLK b/c I know it very well and I'll tell ya what I love about it. Originally it was developed for the AR platform as a way of using standard 5.56 magazines and having a .30 caliber cartridge that can be shot supersonic or suppressed. Just takes an upper receiver change and you're off.

Now, what I love about it is it is a reloaders dream. I can buy cheap 5.56 brass, cut it off and run it thru my reloading die and I have .300 BLK brass. any .308 cal bullet will work in the case so there are hundreds of bullet choices available cheap as well as military pulled bullets.

I can reload it to 30-30 velocities or as slow as .380 ACP/.38SPL velocities for plinking or super quiet rounds to dispatch varmints or anything in between with bullets from 86gr all the way to 250gr. It costs me about the same to reload it as it costs to buy .22LR ammo.

I don't care about ARs and have my single shot so I can load any bullet that's .30 caliber in my cases and not have to worry about cycling.

Some examples: I load 90gr XTP bullets at 900fps for armadillo control and they sound like an air rifle thru my suppressor.

I load the same bullet at 2400fps to blow the heII out of anything I point it at lol. Pistol bullets at that velocity are like dynamite. 110-125 grain bullets at 2200fps are deer medicine. Cheap plated bullets at 900 fps for plinking steel. I load the .30 carbine 110gr and 150gr flat point plated bullets for cheap plinking at 750-900fps.

My godson will plink all day long with my .300BLK over my AR. It's quiet and doesn't kick and he hits anything he aims it at so he loves it.

That's why I love the blackout. You can outperform it with many .30cal cartridges but I can't think of any other that is as versatile as it is.
Well I feel Ive been a bit educated on it. I didnt know all about the reloading tweeks that can be done with it because the way a lot of magazines made it look (paper magazines that is) is it was like the new round for all Special Forces who pretty much must carry standard or at least uniform cartridges so thanks for 'splaining' that stuff to me because it was presented in question form.
But now its the 6.5 Creedmore and that has been around for awhile and it was a nice fast round. I had it ( not the Creedmore) but a 6.5 in a Italian Carcano and ppl laughed at it, well untill a certain day in November 63' I think . I remember the projectile in the 6.5 I had was such a long bullet.
And wasnt or isnt still a shooting contest called the Creedmore shoot off or something? Nothing new about that but then a lot of us arent re-loaders and they can squeeze more & less out of a cartridge then you can buy pre-made at the shops.
My son and I was just about to start reloading as I used to help a guy when I was a kid, I already had a nice steel welding type table we were gonna use and stuff then 9-11 happened and he joined the 1 st. Infantry Division and that project went out the window. Then 10 yrs. or so later everyone said to us " heck the stuff is so high now you cant save any money doing it anymore" but I wasnt that interested in saving money cause my plan was to buy ammo shoot it once, reload it and put it up.
But it never happened. Thanks

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Is a .300 Blk Out really much diff than a .30-30 w/a spitzer bullet and a cool name? And all the 6.5 stuff, hasnt that been around for decades and decades? I dont know, I just dont see all the usefulness exept to fill gun magazine pages.
My son just built a 6.5 grendel and loves it, matter of fact he downed a deer with one shot one kill his first outing with it. Yes there seams to be a new cartridge coming out every time you turn the corner and that's fine with me; but in a "fat hits the fan" scenario I agree it's best to have 2 or 3 firearms chambered for well established ammo. If you're forced to leave your "safe haven" you're going to be traveling light and scrounging for food, water, munitions, etc. and having firearms chambered for .22, 12 ga., .9mm and .223/.556 will be the top self defense contenders, at least in our neck of the woods. I don't own an ar and prefer an ak over it but the odds of finding 7.62x39 for our 2 sks's laying around some unfortunate soul will be much lower than finding the fore mentioned calibers/gauges. I pray we never see those days but it is food for thought.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My son just built a 6.5 grendel and loves it, matter of fact he downed a deer with one shot one kill his first outing with it. Yes there seams to be a new cartridge coming out every time you turn the corner and that's fine with me; but in a "fat hits the fan" scenario I agree it's best to have 2 or 3 firearms chambered for well established ammo. If you're forced to leave your "safe haven" you're going to be traveling light and scrounging for food, water, munitions, etc. and having firearms chambered for .22, 12 ga., .9mm and .223/.556 will be the top self defense contenders, at least in our neck of the woods. I don't own an ar and prefer an ak over it but the odds of finding 7.62x39 for our 2 sks's laying around some unfortunate soul will be much lower than finding the fore mentioned calibers/gauges. I pray we never see those days but it is food for thought.
Yea but heck Ive never shot a cartridge I didnt like lol. I guess a new cal a day wouldnt hurt but I just dont really get it thats all and wonder sometimes if there is really much difference in say the 10 ( or so) most popular cartridges that has been around and survived the test of time and a bunch of newer ones out there...to the "average person" that is.
The avg. gun enthuseist ( can never spell that one lol) doesnt get real technical as a person thet has been reloading most of their life like a guy I know, always saying " I can use this powder and get this FPS out of this w/so & so rifleing using boat tail bullets " and thats all fine and good to go out and see w/a chronograph ( speed-reader, I know thats wrong lol) and a spotting scope and it makes for a great hobby Im sure but it seems a body would have to be retired to get into all of that as opposed to just reloading to have ammo to stash.
Ive just always wondered if there is enough difference in most of them, off the shelf that is.
I or we had 28 diff calibers one time and pretty much weened it down to just the military cals mostly including the good ole .45-70 "Gummitt" I love. My son just got rid of his last .303 SMLE without telling me recently, I just found out a cpl nights ago.
But Im starting to loosen up a bit because Im stocked pretty good on ammo. I dont even shoot but once a year anymore and have prolly 3 guns Ive never fired. Im stuck living in the middle of town and hate going to the range but as soon as it gets warm Im going out there I guess, I did about 4 months ago.
Well I just got home and Im starting to babble but I just love guns and always have and love talking about them but Ive been out of the loop for awhile.
Oh you mentioned the tried and true SKS, I used to buy them for $75 back when ppl laughed at them, and now those same ppl want to give me $400 for the one "piece of junk" I have left. And I wouldnt take anything for it. Its an unissued NORINCO made in the early 60's. I remember taking $200 and getting 4 of them w/a case of ammo for them. I carried the SKSs through the secret gun shop ( B4 he got busted) thru the flea mkt and my son was about 8 and he would drag the cases of ammo behind me lol.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
My brother and I went to a Roses in another town decades ago and we each bought matching # Norinco sks's for $129.00. Had I known (yeah hindsight) I would have bought as many as they would have sold me. Several years ago a gun shop owner friend sold me another matching # Norinco for my wife and we dickered down to $300.00. I though that was atrocious especially since we had bought so many guns from him. He told me that was what he actually allowed in trade towards some high dollar special order target rifle for some guy. I really didn't have any reason to doubt him because we went way back as friends and he always charged me a very small percentage above his invoices, which he showed me, on firearms but that was my last sks, period. I see them online now anywhere from $400.00-$500.00 even without matching numbers and some looking like they had been left sitting in a swamp for weeks on end. That amount of $ will go pretty far towards my next purchase which will be an ak. I figure since we already have a surplus of 7.62x39 ammo of all descriptions just get an ak and put a red dot or low power optic on it. The harder hitting .30 cal bullet weight would also be an assist in dense cover plus the basic accuracy between the ak & ar @ <100-150 yrds. is basically a wash. If I need better accuracy at greater distances will just pull out the .270 Remington bolt..lol.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My brother and I went to a Roses in another town decades ago and we each bought matching # Norinco sks's for $129.00. Had I known (yeah hindsight) I would have bought as many as they would have sold me. Several years ago a gun shop owner friend sold me another matching # Norinco for my wife and we dickered down to $300.00. I though that was atrocious especially since we had bought so many guns from him. He told me that was what he actually allowed in trade towards some high dollar special order target rifle for some guy. I really didn't have any reason to doubt him because we went way back as friends and he always charged me a very small percentage above his invoices, which he showed me, on firearms but that was my last sks, period. I see them online now anywhere from $400.00-$500.00 even without matching numbers and some looking like they had been left sitting in a swamp for weeks on end. That amount of $ will go pretty far towards my next purchase which will be an ak. I figure since we already have a surplus of 7.62x39 ammo of all descriptions just get an ak and put a red dot or low power optic on it. The harder hitting .30 cal bullet weight would also be an assist in dense cover plus the basic accuracy between the ak & ar @ <100-150 yrds. is basically a wash. If I need better accuracy at greater distances will just pull out the .270 Remington bolt..lol.
Cool, this is the only one I have left out of 7 or 8 of them including 3 Russian ones. One Russian one my ex-wife pawned while my son was in Iraq and she lost it, sad story.
All of ours were #'s matching and they all were as far as I know unless they would come from C.A.I. ( Century Arms) or somewhere like that. They used to buy lots of guns in drums and assemble them and sometimes just etch-in new serial numbers Ive heard, and if you look at some of the guns they sold yrs. ago its easy to see but it could have been how they got started because I think they pretty much import guns now. Yrs. ago I bought a Garand from them and it would never fire more than 2 or 3 shots and had to send it back 3 times and the last time the operating rod came loose and just dangled on it, a bad scene for a lefty believe me because it would have went right thru my face had it come totally off. I sold it to a buddy but he knew the deal about it and I lost a few hundo on it.
I remember the first time we shot it, or tried to we got home w/all our guns we would take to shoot ( usually a level Dodge Dakota bed full) to clen them and the front sight on the M-1 was gone and we was like OMG! and drove 25 miles back to the range and there it was a few ft. from the shooting table we were at lol.
Then my son got a CETME from them but it seemed OK but he traded it for something.
Well heres the only Simanov Carbine I have left and the Rossi Ranch Hand in .44 mag I was talking about last night and a Left Handed AR incase noone has seen one. They were in the same corner of the cave lol! I removed all the crap from the AR and just have it stock, thats all I need. Ive had it for 7 or 8 yrs. and have shot it two times once firing 100 rds thru it and the other time less than that.
Being into guns and living in the middle of town stinks
Later guys

Attachments

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yeah I understand about living in town and popping a cap, even if it's a rural one like ours; a neighbor or two might freak out..lol. I really don't care if I find a stray copperhead in the yard and the "Judge" takes it out in short order.
I set up a 25 yrd. target range in the backyard for my air rifles but even they are not the quietest but dang those squirrels destroying our bird feeders have got to go.....

Attachments

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
385 Posts
Yeah I understand about living in town and popping a cap, even if it's a rural one like ours; a neighbor or two might freak out..lol. I really don't care if I find a stray copperhead in the yard and the "Judge" takes it out in short order.
I set up a 25 yrd. target range in the backyard for my air rifles but even they are not the quietest but dang those squirrels destroying our bird feeders have got to go.....
I here ya on the squirrels, except for us it’s chipmunks. They don’t last long with my Ruger AirHawk and hollow points tho...

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I here ya on the squirrels, except for us it’s chipmunks. They don’t last long with my Ruger AirHawk and hollow points tho...
Hey that Ruger AirHawk is one fine air rifle for sure and gotta love those hollow points also, they get the job done quickly and humanely with one shot. I shoot a couple of old RWS T06 classics both in .177. The most accurate pellets in mine are #1 Crosman Premier HP 7.9gr, #2 Crosman Domed 7.9gr. & #3 RWS Super Domes 8.3gr.
My wife and I are true nature lovers, not to be confused with "tree huggers" lol, but when she gets upset when her song bird's are interrupted or her favorite feeder ends up on the ground chewed up then heaven look out. When I hear her call out "RUDY THERE'S A SQUIRREL RUNNING OFF THE CARDINALS" the game is on folks. In 2018 17 fuzzy tailed rats were eliminated around our backyard but not before they ruined one of her favorite and most productive feeders. 2019 was a bumper year @ 26 and 1 so far in 2020; dang vermin...
During the colder temps I set up the "poor man's blind" utilizing a cut down cardboard box with twin shooting ports under the patio porch but during the summer I use a more elaborate "summer blind" for ventilation rofl.....
Shooting air rifles is an addiction for me and I absolutely love it.

Attachments

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
385 Posts
Hey that Ruger AirHawk is one fine air rifle for sure and gotta love those hollow points also, they get the job done quickly and humanely with one shot. I shoot a couple of old RWS T06 classics both in .177. The most accurate pellets in mine are #1 Crosman Premier HP 7.9gr, #2 Crosman Domed 7.9gr. & #3 RWS Super Domes 8.3gr.
My wife and I are true nature lovers, not to be confused with "tree huggers" lol, but when she gets upset when her song bird's are interrupted or her favorite feeder ends up on the ground chewed up then heaven look out. When I hear her call out "RUDY THERE'S A SQUIRREL RUNNING OFF THE CARDINALS" the game is on folks. In 2018 17 fuzzy tailed rats were eliminated around our backyard but not before they ruined one of her favorite and most productive feeders. 2019 was a bumper year @ 26 and 1 so far in 2020; dang vermin...
During the colder temps I set up the "poor man's blind" utilizing a cut down cardboard box with twin shooting ports under the patio porch but during the summer I use a more elaborate "summer blind" for ventilation rofl.....
Shooting air rifles is an addiction for me and I absolutely love it.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
Hey, if ya'll want to shoot quietly I can highly recommend CCI Quiet .22LR ammo. Out of a longer barreled bolt action it is nearly as quiet as my Ruger 10/22 with my suppressor.

They have 2 versions of it. One will not cycle an auto and is quieter, the other will be louder but will cycle an auto.

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
, Taurus Judge? Cant beat them. Ive wanted one of them since the day they came out but never followed through but Im seriously thinking about doing it this tax year, they have to be about the best home defense thing there is and w/the .410 - 000 Buck shot I have wich is 3- .32 cal balls . O nly yhing is when it goes off they might shoot in a 1" pattern or a 1' one lol! But there's other shot plus the .45 Colt.
Aint the air rifles legal anywhere? States have diff laws but when we were kids we would just walk around Pea Ridge w/our Crossman pumps and a cpl Daisy's.
The Crossman pumps were pretty powerfull compared to a Daisy lever action that wouldnt even shoot a hole in a pop can but they sure as heck aint nothing like I hear they are now, like actual rimfire or so rifles.
I accidentaly bought a scope for a air rifle for a .22 mag, rifle and went back to ask the guy about it and he said it prolly takes a bigger slamming from the spring on a air gun than a .22 magnum. So I kept it and its on a 22 mag rifle. I just grabbed it for $40 sum bucks off of a 'as is ' sale table and it works just fine, its a big scope and had I not saw it on the box after I got home w/it I prolly wouldnt know till this day.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yeah, I love Airguning as well, but I wish we didn’t get stuck with de-tuned air rifles up here. I plan on tearing down my airhawk, and putting in the Umarex Surge Piston, spring, and guides in. That’s the funny part though, I’m 14, so I can’t get a PAL license, but I can buy a detuned rifle, buy the better parts, and have myself a proper air rifle. It is certainly a great sport, and I love how cheap it is to shoot.
I’m starting to ramble,

So thanks
That's a great idea. I would also check and see if this vortek system would work: Ruger Blk/Air Hawk-PG3 HO Tune KIT
As far as rambling don't even get me started on air rifles, we'd be here all night...lol.

Hey, if ya'll want to shoot quietly I can highly recommend CCI Quiet .22LR ammo. Out of a longer barreled bolt action it is nearly as quiet as my Ruger 10/22 with my suppressor.

They have 2 versions of it. One will not cycle an auto and is quieter, the other will be louder but will cycle an auto.
View attachment 2443443
(y)Yeah Steve I use those and CB shorts out of my Marlin .22 bolt and they are only a tad louder than my air rifles. I dispatched 3 raccoons off our feeders the summer before last with single head shots with CBs using a mini light attached to my scope at night. They were simple shots at ranges <20 yrds. I also tried them and the quiet .22 out of my 1022 but you're correct they are a lot quieter out of longer barrelled b/a for sure. A few years back I bought a modified magazine for the 1022 that feeds shorts but even the CB's were still too loud at night around our neighborhood when compared to the Marlin.

, Taurus Judge? Cant beat them. Ive wanted one of them since the day they came out but never followed through but Im seriously thinking about doing it this tax year, they have to be about the best home defense thing there is and w/the .410 - 000 Buck shot I have wich is 3- .32 cal balls . O nly yhing is when it goes off they might shoot in a 1" pattern or a 1' one lol!
Aint the air rifles legal anywhere? States have diff laws but when we were kids we would just walk around Pea Ridge w/our Crossman pumps and a cpl Daisy's.

I accidentaly bought a scope for a air rifle for a .22 mag, rifle and went back to ask the guy about it and he said it prolly takes a bigger slamming from the spring on a air gun than a .22 magnum.
Yeah it's the Taurus Judge that I bought used many years ago for $175.00 from my late gun dealer friend. It turned out the original owner was another friend who had bought it new a year or so earlier and shot it once (it looked brand new) then traded it in on a Bushmaster AR.

The guy was right; an air rifle is a lot harder on scopes that a .22. A .22 has minimal reverse recoil where as a spring piston air rifle has a more violent bi-directional forward and reverse recoil. Think about it this way, at first when the large spring uncoils it sends the rifle backwards then again when the piston reaches the end of its length in the chamber it jars the rifle forward. This double recoil is a scope killer and can wreak havoc even on scopes that can survive the recoil of a .300 win mag rifle if they're not designed for air rifles. The operator doesn't really feel it much but only use a scope rated for air rifle use should be used. I do have an air rifle scope on my Marlin .22 bolt because I had 2 of the same model 4-16x50mm on my air rifles that have been drop dead dependable, have a lifetime wty. plus they were also on sale. (y)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a great idea. I would also check and see if this vortek system would work: Ruger Blk/Air Hawk-PG3 HO Tune KIT
As far as rambling don't even get me started on air rifles, we'd be here all night...lol.

(y)Yeah Steve I use those and CB shorts out of my Marlin .22 bolt and they are only a tad louder than my air rifles. I dispatched 3 raccoons off our feeders the summer before last with single head shots with CBs using a mini light attached to my scope at night. They were simple shots at ranges <20 yrds. I also tried them and the quiet .22 out of my 1022 but you're correct they are a lot quieter out of longer barrelled b/a for sure. A few years back I bought a modified magazine for the 1022 that feeds shorts but even the CB's were still too loud at night around our neighborhood when compared to the Marlin.

Yeah it's the Taurus Judge that I bought used many years ago for $175.00 from my late gun dealer friend. It turned out the original owner was another friend who had bought it new a year or so earlier and shot it once (it looked brand new) then traded it in on a Bushmaster AR.

The guy was right; an air rifle is a lot harder on scopes that a .22. A .22 has minimal reverse recoil where as a spring piston air rifle has a more violent bi-directional forward and reverse recoil. Think about it this way, at first when the large spring uncoils it sends the rifle backwards then again when the piston reaches the end of its length in the chamber it jars the rifle forward. This double recoil is a scope killer and can wreak havoc even on scopes that can survive the recoil of a .300 win mag rifle if they're not designed for air rifles. The operator doesn't really feel it much but only use a scope rated for air rifle use should be used. I do have an air rifle scope on my Marlin .22 bolt because I had 2 of the same model 4-16x50mm on my air rifles that have been drop dead dependable, have a lifetime wty. plus they were also on sale. (y)

Thanks for the info so I guess he was right after all, it should last awhile. Thats a nice set up you have there. I can see the scope box from here, it says " VISM 10x42" and I think its also on my beautifull .22 mag Marlin I let my son borrow a year ago. I love shooting that rifle, everytime I let him have a gun I miss them like crazy lol!
That thing is a beauty and shoots like a dream. Look at that stock, I gotta go over to his house and get it. Bought it from his neighbor for $200 w/a Bushnell Scope and the longest Harris Bi-Pod I have ever seen. I love shooting it. Its got that micro groove rifling.
It was the first .22 mag. I ever bought and now I have prolly 6 or 7 .22 mags one is a Deringer. ..as usless as that is.
A rifle round shot out of a 1 1/2" barrel hand gun dont make much sense

Attachments

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
385 Posts

Thanks for the link,
It looks like it should work

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I have had similar thoughts about 300 blackout, and 6.5 grendel and creedmore... But everyone I have heard that shoots them loves them. Many people think that 5.56 and .223 are "weak" cartridges, and 7.62x39 is passe and old school. Most of the guys locally I have seen with blackout were the tacticool guys that want every geegaw, and can talk for days on specs, but can't shoot very well. I may have a lot of different platforms and calibers, but I try to be proficient with as many as I can.

Seeing Steve Urquell's post about reloading makes me want to start though... I have though about it, but shy of the 44 special that I just got rid of, I don't think I could reload cheaper than I can buy it... Plus I would have to buy all the equipment to get started. I had a 12 gauge reloading station, and a bunch of shot and powder, I should have kept it just to learn, but gave it all to a friend.

I still think even as fun as larger calibers are, .22, .22wmr, and pistol calibers through a rifle (like my Rossi 92) are more fun that a huge shoulder pounding beast. I sold a few of mine off, and have been tricking out my 10/22's a little (which I need to do another thread on soon) trying to make them more fun, and just all around cool. I have been considering selling one or both of my Marlin 60's as well. I have a nice stainless one in a hardwood stock, and an older blued one that I swapped into a laminate stock. The stainless is a 13+1 mag newer model, and the older one is the 16+1 and both are last shot hold open models. I learned how to get them running well, and realize most people have trouble with the 60 because when they put the action back together after cleaning, if the bolt is not locked to the rear before inserting the feed assembly/hammer the ejector spring will get bent, and that is what causes the malfunctions in them. Cleaning them regularly is a must as well, the Marlin 60 definitely gets more gunked up than a 10/22 does.

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
I uploaded a couple vids to YT tonight. They show why I love the .300BLK in a single shot rifle. The bullets are 90gr Hornady XTPs loaded over a full case of LilGun shotgun powder.

These are pistol bullets and were never designed to be pushed at the velocities I'm pushing them at. I think they are at ~2700fps. I shot an armadillo with one of these and had to pick the pieces up with a shovel lol. First one is a gallon jug, second is a 16oz bottle.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've built my own 300 blackouts since reloading dies were available. Yup, just like others here I salvage 223's and 5.56's and chop them and neck them up to 30 caliber. Finally bought the stuff to do my 300 brass on my Dillon 650 makes it a lot faster. My opinion is they are fantastic. I only load one bullet weight a 148gr mil spec the same that I use for my 308's makes it simple. I can load that bullet anywhere from minimum to maximum loads and it will cycle all day long. Yes, there are people that say you need to stick will mil calibers when it hits the fan...got that covered. Back to the 300.. I love the ability of the cartridge to instantly take down an animal or punch a nice exit hole in an empty freon container and then pick it up and set it down 6 or 8 ft downrange.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts