My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
VT Homesteader
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all - I finally took the snow blower off my 1987 5665 this spring to do some brush hogging with the 30" Brush Mower deck.

This is my 3rd season using this setup in the same way, yet out of nowhere, I can't get the "dog" to stay put on this thing!

After I engage the PTO the mower will mow for about 15 seconds before the dog slides up onto the PTO spindle, no longer making contact/connection to the attachment. I can't figure out what the heck I'm doing differently this year, if anything... What am I missing???

Before engaging PTO:
2460372


After engaging PTO:
2460373



I've tried each of these dogs. The middle one (with spacer on the attachment side) is what I normally use:
2460374

Yes, I realize the one on the right is for inside the quick hitch casing, but I am willing to try anything - the brush is growing too long!


Thanks for any advice or experience you may have on this. I'm dumbfounded. I'm actually now wondering how it worked all the years before :unsure:
 

·
VT Homesteader
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody with a brush mower on a quick hitch out there? What’s your setup

Anyone know what that spacer/washer would be called? I feel like one or two more could do the trick. Don’t know if it’s supposed to be used this way - but that’s how the brush mower setup came to me.

Measuring the spacer, it looks like
1.5” (38mm) OD
1” (25mm) ID.

It’s also about 1/4” thick in both dimensions - but that is not as important.
 

·
VT Homesteader
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another general PTO question: when engaging the PTO, the spindle is not supposed to move forward, is it? Just start spinning?

My 50” finish mower works just fine, but that is a very different connection with a variable amount of space possible between the spindle and the hookup.
 

·
VT Homesteader
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologies if I didn't do enough research before posting this problem, but I've come to a solution. I'm going to share it here in case anyone searching can find the fix. Very simple.

I purchased an inexpensive and readily available (I think it's a very common size) 1" 15-toothed splined coupler at 2 1/4" long to span the distance. Lots available, here's where I got mine: 1" 15 TOOTH SPLINED SHAFT COUPLER 1-1561 | eBay

Why the original dog worked for years then suddenly didn't shall remain a mystery... 🤷‍♂️
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top