My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have a question for you guys.
Have any of you used the 30" brush hog to mow your lawn ? Is it possible to modify one so that it would cut nice ?
Just asking because i have one and it is very hard to find a finish mower where i live.
Thanks any information would be great.

-James

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
They made a square spacer so you could mount 2 finish blades across each other in an X. They also made an anti scalp roller for the front so it would not dig in too much. I have been told they did a decent job. Good luck Ed

·
I have my bear skin
698 Posts
Personally I would just go and get another mower for the yard :D but it should work fine!
JD40

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
I use mine to mow my lawn often, with just the heavy brush blade, sharpened up nice. But I have a swift-o-matic so I use the mower in high gear & the swift-o-matic in low so I get some wicked blade speed.
I really want a double blase setup.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
I routinely mow my lawn with the the brush hog deck, using the heavy brush blade. Like helix, I put the L8 in low axle for the parts that I really want to come out smooth. As long as you keep it sharp, it works fine.

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
I use the 2 blade setup, where the blades cross each other. That works best for me cause I hate mowing so I've got my geared wheels on there and the 2 blades so I only mow the lawn every 15 days. With the nice sharp blades whirring around at a good clip and the wheels slowing the tractor down it does a great job. So you get a few clumps here and there, big whoop,they dry up and blow away within a few days.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
I use mine to mow my lawn often, with just the heavy brush blade, sharpened up nice. But I have a swift-o-matic so I use the mower in high gear & the swift-o-matic in low so I get some wicked blade speed.
I really want a double blase setup.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

The only difference for me is that I use high gear on the axle and the mower. I only slow down on the thickest of grass. It does a great job.

·
Banned
131 Posts
The GRAVELY 30" rotary mower has always been marketed as a "finish mower". It's heavy duty construction earned it a reputation for cutting & pulverizing almost anything it can push over & the nickname "brush hog".

Yes, it's skids & width do make it a bit crude as a "finish mower" but as has been pointed out, sharp blades do OK. I've never seen an "anti scalp roller" on the traditional round 30" decks, only on the later 'flying saucer' design.

I've also never had any desire to use Swiftamatic low to do finish mowing. The usual complaint is that a GRAVELY walk behind mows too slow at it's maximum speed. Swiftamatic low is popular for use as a "brush hog" & in heavily overgrown grass & weeds. Perhaps surprising, but I also never noticed much difference as a "finish mower" between a single 3/8" blade & the crossed/paired blades. A single heavy duty blade has obvious advantages as a "brush hog".

That said, the heavy duty, 2 blade, Commercial 40" deck on a 12 HP is my favorite, all purpose, walk behind GRAVELY mower.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much guys.
The help is really appreciated. I guess i will be mowing with the 30" mower. just have to find a way to put a wheel in the front so that it will not scalp.
Thanks !

-James

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
A couple of casters would probably do nicely. Make arms coming off of the top like on the 40 inch deck. Good luck, let us know how you make out. ED

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the idea ED
While we are on the topic my 30" mower leaks oil relatively fast. I fill it up and a couple of days later the mowing deck has a nice coat of oil on it. It also runs down the shaft for the blades. I believe this is just some new gaskets ?

-James

·
Banned
131 Posts
Suggest that you ID which of 3 different style GRAVELY 30" decks you're talking about & where the oil leaks. The common M-106 has only 1 gasket, where swivel housing & gearbox meet. If it leaks the oil dribbles at center. It might be resealed using silicone gasket maker. If the input seal is bad oil can dribble near rear edge. Oil leaking "down the shaft for the blades" is most likely a bad shaft seal or groove worn shaft, but could be a cracked housing.

my 30" mower leaks oil relatively fast. I fill it up and a couple of days later the mowing deck has a nice coat of oil on it. It also runs down the shaft for the blades. I believe this is just some new gaskets ?
I don't recommend it, but know others who do & I've certainly gotten 30" decks that survived the alternative of using grease instead of oil. Proponents point to the relatively small & weak looking gearboxes on 50" decks using grease.

Wonder what other MTF GRAVELY fans think of the idea?

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
I've heard of using a gear oil and grease mix at about a 50/50 ratio but I've never tried it.

I've never put seals and a gasket in one before either. Although I will be tackling the project soon. My 106 brush hog is now starting to leak around the output shaft some. I can't complain though, this is the original mower that my dad bought new in 1976. Thirty three years on the original gasket and seals isn't bad.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Though I believe that the crossed 30" blades produce a better cut lawn - as you would think they should - I've been pleasantly surprised at what even a sharp 30" heavy blade can accomplish in the same setting.

On the issue of replacing seals/gaskets on the 30" mower, it seems like Gravely guru Chip Old (who regularly posts on another site) had published a very detailed instruction sheet, dealing with 30" mower overhauling.

I would suggest checking his free manual site (oldgravelys.net) and seeing if he has that document posted there. If not, shoot him an e-mail.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea I will download a manual off of the web site. I actually forgot about downloading a manual lol. Thanks.

-James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts