My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been posting mostly in the What did you do today thread one this but thought I'd put up the beginning condition and the almost end (still have the 3pt. hitch to attach) here for posterity:

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well got them mounted to the 3 pt. hitch today and set up for plowing:

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
This is my fifth plow, however, it is the most rusted, so, for the first time I took plow completely apart and then I sand blasted till I ran out of sand. should be ready for plowday

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my fifth plow, however, it is the most rusted, so, for the first time I took plow completely apart and then I sand blasted till I ran out of sand. should be ready for plowday View attachment 2475900
That's further than I tore them down. Didn't want to chance busting one of those ones on the landslide, not sure if you can get parts for them anymore from Brinley.

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
While I had the sandblaster out I also painted a EZ Vac mount

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, had to go all out for the MTF members on this restoration (yes 1st one is a bit crooked! ), final things I did to the plows before going to the Central Ohio Plow Day on October 30 and 31st!

Waterslide decals applied and drying before clear coat is applied.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out that hitting these decals after they're applied with clear coat doesn't work too well! Guess I get to try again!! Fortunately this was the one that was crooked!! Going to try the clear coat on the decal sheet before I put them on next time.

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
Nothing like the warm fuzzy feelings after all the sandblasting, priming, painting, wet sand, repaint more wet sanding, finally paint the final topcoat & then the hanger lets go & drops the pretty arm on the concrete

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing like the warm fuzzy feelings after all the sandblasting, priming, painting, wet sand, repaint more wet sanding, finally paint the final topcoat & then the hanger lets go & drops the pretty arm on the concrete View attachment 2476995
Wow, that messed up the paint pretty bad, you got time to fix it yet though!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get to work on a plow also now. Picked it up today. So I should be ready by spring. Itll be my 1st try at a plow. Hopefully I can get it setup and working.

Got tires to...

Hopefully spring will be normal next year.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get to work on a plow also now. Picked it up today. So I should be ready by spring. Itll be my 1st try at a plow. Hopefully I can get it setup and working.
View attachment 2477376

Got tires to...
View attachment 2477377

Hopefully spring will be normal next year.
That looks in really good shape! Hard to find the 3pt. Brinley's these days so glad you found one. One thing I picked up on this last week, tightening the cross chains so there isn't any swing when the plow is mounted. If you have any questions let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,605 Posts
I get to work on a plow also now. Picked it up today. So I should be ready by spring. Itll be my 1st try at a plow. Hopefully I can get it setup and worki spring will be normal next year.
That one looks great & ready to get to work, bring it to Columbus Ohio in two weeks, we'll help you set it up.

Reactions: Skwirl and PA318Guy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks guys, I wish Ohio was closer, lol.
I'd love to try it out before painting.

You guys have good eyes to. The PO of the plow bought it NOS from a dealer that was closing. It was in the basement of the dealer.
The PO said he hadn't used it either. The PO told me the serial number dates it to 1975.
So it might be virgin yet, lol.
Plus those Firestone's are loaded to, about 2/3 full with beet juice. That stuff is heavy, that's for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sure I'll have questions, but I found and read the thread about setup. That thread is great.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tried the plow today. It plows, but needs setting up and I need an education, lol.
Heres my test run, it's ok to laugh, its ugly.

At least it rolled some dirt.
Then I got to put it back and flatten it with the bucket.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried the plow today. It plows, but needs setting up and I need an education, lol.
Heres my test run, it's ok to laugh, its ugly.
View attachment 2477477

At least it rolled some dirt.
Then I got to put it back and flatten it with the bucket.
Now you're a plower! Soil looks pretty rocky, might be hard to get it to go to depth in rocky soil. Try shortening your top link just a little to get it to point down a little more. You watched the video I presume, did you see all those guys that had made brackets to hang a few suitcase weights off the plow, getting them to bite can be pretty difficult in different soils.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That soil was never turned, plus has all kinds of heavy tractors packing it down. My landlord doesnt plow any of the fields either, just a disc. Even got told not to use a chisel plow, had to buy a new disc. Causes to much runoff, was the reason.
Anyway, the top link was at its shortest length. The whole thing needs adjusting. The plow frame needs to be moved to the right on the 3 pt bar. Maybe that will center the top link. The land slide needs adjusting by that bolt, it's not straight with the tractor. I'm sure everything is off. Plus my drive tires are in the wide position, that may cause a lot of it.
Heres a pic of it

Not to concerned yet, I just wanted to try it.
I'll take it apart and clean it up and paint it.
When that's done and back together, I'll try and get it set up.
Let me know what ya think from that pic, paguy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts