My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I got my hitch from EEZS today, and lo and behold it isnt the right size.

All the link ends and pins are 7/8 inch (Category 1 size)..

The pics show one arm installed, and the arms lifted as high as possible. This aint right is it. The web indicated that the Legacy XL has a Cat 1 hitch, so that's what I bought (even before I had the tractor, as I was in a rush).:banghead3

If any one in Canada (or Eastern Michigan)is looking for a 3 pt hitch link arm kit. (Category 1)

http://www.eezs.com/product.php?task=detail&Product_Id=57

and the chain kit

http://www.eezs.com/product.php?task=detail&Product_Id=332

PM me, I bought this kit before I even got the tractor, now I find out I actually have a Cat 0 hitch on the tractor..:banghead3

Again PM me...

I guess I'll have to change my signature as well... Category (???)

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Can you send it back and pay for shipping? I bought their Cat "0" hitch for my Ariens GT14 and the lift link holes on my rock shaft where 1/2 and the lift link holes were 5/8 and I used a smaller bolt and bushing, I was real worried because the Cat "0' drag arms were real long, 26 inches, but I was able to lift implements real high. BTW, I think if you bought cat 1 lift links it would raise fine, but you would need to use bushing in the knuckles to run cat 0 implements, because cat 1 tools are way to big for the Legacy, Cat 0 is 20 inch across the drag bars, cat 1 is 26 inches, you may be able to pull them together 3 inches on each side without to much of a problem, just giving you another option.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I over-reacted. I looked at the 3PH, and all the parts I just bought, and I decided to modify something that was brand new, and not even broken. I normally shy away from modding something that is new or under warranty..(I guess I am a sucker).

So, I took a quick trip to TSC (ours really sucks for tractor parts, as its in the "city"). I found my CAT 1 to 0 bushings, and bought a CAT 0 top link.

So as you could see by the old pics, the lift arms were too long. So I cut one end off the CAT 0 top link, shortened my solid lift arm to the correct lenght, and welded on the knuckle from the CAT 0 top link.

I wanted an adjustable lift arm on the other side, but a CAT 0 top link is too long. I removed 2 1/2" from the middle of the top link, and welded the link arm end back on with the adjuster at mid point (it has about 2 inches travel).

I narrowed the CAT 1 top link knuckle, as well.

I installed 3 CAT1 to 0 bushings, chains, and low and behold, I have a Legacy XL with a modified CAT1 3 point hitch. THe lower arms hang normally about 20 inches apart (perfect for CAT 0 implments), but will extend out to 26.

When the arms are lowered they are roughly 6 inches from the ground, and fully raised they are 22 inches, so 16 inches of travel aren't bad.

Here are some pics of the finished (unpainted) product.

I guess I have to get over my hang-ups on mods, if I want to hang around here!!

Now to build a ballast box.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Interesting. I too, planned on putting a Cat 0 3 pth from them. But they quit making the Cat 0 hitch kit available. The Cat 1 kit would work of the I could get the vertical lift arms shortened like the Cat 0 needs. Now I see I might be able to do this and get a 3 pth set up onto my Bolens HT-23, after all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hankll,
All I did was measure the distance between both lift shaft and the lower link arms (8.5 inches) and made my lift links that length. You will see from my pics that i used the inner holes (on the lower arms) to attached my lift links. This will lower my total lift capacity, but give mt the most travel. If I were to use the outer holes (about 2 inches further out), I would have adjusted the lift links a little longer. I didn't want to over do it at first, as I am new to this modding thing. If everything works fine, I migh make up another set of lift links to use the outer holes..

As you can see from the last pics, I goofed when I welded the knuckles to the lift links (i din't take into account the angle that they would be on, and simply welded them straight on to the links). I should have adjusted for the angle and welded the knukles on so that they are perpendicular to the pins holding them in.

Live and earn...
p.s. The guys at EEZS shipped out the parts the very next day after I ordered them, UPS arrived the day after that.. Good price.

The top link that I bought from TSC to do the mods was a piece of [email protected] The knukles were frozen and did not move, had to be freed with a big pipe and vise. My suggestion is to buy the top link from EEZS as well. They make good stuff.. Also check out Redlandhill...
:fing32:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts