My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of saving a bucket (pun intended) of money and picking up the 30" reversible dirt scoop for a 3 point hitch that Tractor Supply has now instead of buying a FEL:

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/tractor/Dirt-Scoop?zoneMarketInfo=2-16&reqUrl=http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/tractor/Dirt-Scoop&langId=-1&storeId=10551&storeCity=city,+state&catalogId=10001&storeZip=13323

For the amount of material moving and scraping I'm doing I think this might just do the trick. Plus I can use it to move piles of snow (if we ever get any) with it on the back while my blowers on the front.

Does anyone have experience with this? I can even get one locally on CL that's near new and prices as used. Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm thinking of saving a bucket (pun intended) of money and picking up the 30" reversible dirt scoop for a 3 point hitch that Tractor Supply has now instead of buying a FEL:

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Tom

My experience moving dirt indicates that this might be on the small side. If your needs are in the range of moving around 30 Qubic yards. It might just do.

If you have more than 30 Qubic yards, hire the job done by a professional excavator.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I could shovel it into a wagon 3 time faster than what that thing was scooping.
I'd like to see how it dumps out.
Front end loader for sure !

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
Johnny Bucket Use to Make 3point Mounted Buckets which Look Just like a Bucket that Blacksmith Man made for his MTD Dayton. I don't Know if John still Makes them any More But they were Better suited For Garden tractors Than that Dirt scoop your Looking at. Thru TSC. Those Dirt Scoops Tend To work Better On Compacts or Ford 8N size Tractors Than Garden tractors Because of the Lift Height and weight when the Bucket is Full. I think you might be disappointed with the Performance on your 455. I Know I didn’t care for the One I used on my 425 It always seemed Like More Of a Hassle to use and the 40 loader was always More Practical. In Your Case s Being AWS I would Look at a Johnny Bucket Or Maybe a Or-Bilt Loader http://www.or-bilt.com/49series.html :thThumbsU

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
I have a little box scraper, and it's a pain in the neck working with that and I only have to turn around to see that some of the time. I can't imagine how much pain I would be in working with that thing full time... Ouch!!!:crybaby:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But folks, I have a Cat 0/1, 3 point hitch already. I can get this thing for under $300, instead of much more for either a Johnny or a real FEL. I don't think I can justify the big dollar.

BTW, the video was great.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Thing looks like just under $300 worth of frustration to me. I bet that kid has about 5 hrs of beating on that machine to dig that 2 yards of material out.

It would help some if the top arm on the 3 pt was a hydraulic cylinder so the angle of the bucket could be adjusted some.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leinie: the design of the 3 pt hitch on a 455 (and others) is such that something that is level on the ground is tipped back when raised. I'm sure you knew that already, so sorry.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,178 Posts
I have one that I use for my Ford 8N and it works, but it takes a while to get the hang of it. I have tried to level some ground with it to put a shed on and never could get the ground leveled. I used mine mostly for moving rock from a pile out to the driveway.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I plan on buying the 24" version this spring for moving 10 yards of landscape rock, it has to beat shoveling and a wheelbarrow.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Leinie: the design of the 3 pt hitch on a 455 (and others) is such that something that is level on the ground is tipped back when raised. I'm sure you knew that already, so sorry.
If you could easily adjust the tilt, it may be more useful. You could tip the blade to actually scrape down, to pry up stones, or make a bit of a scooping action.
I'd put the money in a hydraulic dump wagon and a good shovel

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a X740 with cat1 and JD quick hitch. I purchased a 24 in scoop - light weight cat 1 china-made for $180 and had my welder modify it for the quick hitch. Hooks-up in 10 seconds and I use it for a wheel barrel substitute. Yes, I wish it was bigger, but the 30 in models were double the weight and double the price - everything is a compromise. Purchased from AgriSupply in Gardner, NC. Item 65053 - now $189.95. So far, have converted only one end.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Go for it. And why is this in the John Deere forum?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a Johnny-Bucket Sr. I was somewhat concerned with the frame flexing when I noticed the hood above the dash move slightly when I was trying to lift a heavy load. I just thought that it would be easier on the machine using the 3pt hitch. The 740 is 2wd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts