My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a pallet fork they'd rent me for the end of the season? I'm guessing by the time I built one capable of handling 1200# pallets of steel siding for my shed I'd've been better off buying one from TSC for $400

Any advice?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keep trying Craigslist, although it's a crap shoot.

I'm in OH. Been looking for a box scraper. Most used aren't that much less than the ones that are new.

I need it for about a week, and the rental cost would be almost what the cost to buy would be - but I don't need it for the rest of my life.

Be nice if there was some sort of affordable medium-term implement rental place - kind of like an implement bank.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,563 Posts
Keep trying Craigslist, although it's a crap shoot.

I'm in OH. Been looking for a box scraper. Most used aren't that much less than the ones that are new.

I need it for about a week, and the rental cost would be almost what the cost to buy would be - but I don't need it for the rest of my life.

Be nice if there was some sort of affordable medium-term implement rental place - kind of like an implement bank.
Box blades are tuff and don't wear out...Used ones go for about the same as new..I have one that I use maybe twice a year, but worth having..:thThumbsU

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,563 Posts
Anyone got a pallet fork they'd rent me for the end of the season? I'm guessing by the time I built one capable of handling 1200# pallets of steel siding for my shed I'd've been better off buying one from TSC for $400

Any advice?
I dought if the N will lift 1200# without blowing the safety valve..

·
Registered
680 Posts
I dought if the N will lift 1200# without blowing the safety valve..
It'll probably just pick the front tires up off the ground. unless he's got the front weighted then it'll pop the relief valve. BTDT too many times. But it does make for some funny looks from the neighbors.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the N was rated to 1500 with the hydraulics (I know 800+ 'll lift the front).

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
IF the hydraulics could lift it you would never keep the front end on the ground plus the higher you go the worse it is.
Might be better to rent one if it's only going to be used one time. Or if in no rush look around for one like I did. I picked up my ford 4000 HD allterain forklift for the price of scrap. Sure it didn't run but I got it running for very little money, mostly time invested. It help move logs and tractor equipment around. I don't use it a lot but when I do I'm glad I have it.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kirk, my wife'd kill me - she's already complaining that I've bought more things for my N than for her!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think 1200# is getting close to the Limit. Although I have used mine to carry big round hay bales of hay. As gears said TSC for $400 is not bad. I built a set of forks forks for about $200. Also you can check any farm auctions in your area. I am not much for renting anything I will use more than a day and forks will come in handy. I put a 4X4x1" piece of under-lament and use it for carrying wood to the garage. I also ave a "Box" built that I use as a wheel barrow. Like I said, they do come in handy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got em built (made my own CAD print too if anyone's interested) I ended up digging some 2x4 box tubing out of the barn... so cost was welding wire & the gas (alright, a set of Cat1 pins too).

I don't have a pic of the finished forks separate, but I've got a shot of them in action clearing my old shed to make room for my new barn. NovDec11 007.jpg

barn 002.jpg

barn 003.jpg

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Well, I got em built (made my own CAD print too if anyone's interested) I ended up digging some 2x4 box tubing out of the barn... so cost was welding wire & the gas (alright, a set of Cat1 pins too).

I don't have a pic of the finished forks separate, but I've got a shot of them in action clearing my old shed to make room for my new barn. View attachment 195149

View attachment 195150

View attachment 195151
What I find REALLY impressive is who is operating the tractor cleaning out the barn!:trink39:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Swilkins - that was almost harder than the barn-build has been.

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
HA HA HA, I can only imagine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts