My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

What category is the John Deere 3 point hitch for a JD 400? Is it a Class 0 or 1?

What is the difference and how can I tell? I have an opportunity to purchase one today and want to know what I should get and what to look for.

Any difference in capability between the different categories?

My intended purpose for this hitch would be to till a garden, move my trailer etc and generally get deeper into the hobby. I have never had a 3 point hitch before so I am new to this piece of equipment.

One last question: If I get a 3 point post hole digger, I gather I will need a rear PTO?

Anyone ever seen one for JD 400? I have yet to see something like for sale for a 400.

Doing a search really didn't yield any information I could use.

Thanks,

Lee

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Lee, Alan in Vermont is one of the most experienced 400 owners on here, but I'll give your question a try.

Ruegg manufacturing sells a convertible cat-0/cat-1 hitch now, so this is all I recommmend anymore for 300/400 owners.

I believe the factory option was cat-0. The differences are in lift pin diameter, link spacing, and of course capacity.

I believe your rear PTO on the 400 was an 800 RPM pto, so a conventional 540 RPM PHD wouldn't work unless you idled the engine down some, then of course you are not making full HP.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,742 Posts
Deere made a cat "0" 3 point hitch for the 400. No cat. "I" was availble from the factory. As mentioned above, there are aftermarket hitches that are different. If you are thinking of getting a regular post hole auger from a farm equipment store to fit on your 400, it won't work. Same thing for a rear tiller, you are pretty much stuck using model 400 specific attachments. Not a lot on Ebay today, but here is what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Deere-400-3-Point-Hitch-/200503242416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D-Dogg, thanks for the quick reply. The reason I was interested in a stock hitch was the price, $250. All the aftermarket ones I have seen are $350+ but maybe they are a better value if they can do both CL 0 and 1.

When you say capacity do you mean the size of the attachment or weight of it? I gather down ward pressure with the hitch is an important issue as well.

I assume most aftermarket attachments that need a rear PTO run at 540 RPM?

Any idea where I could source a rear PTO? I haven't seen anything on Ebay, CL, etc.

I guess to make this easier on folks, do you know of link or website that explains the in/outs of 3 point hitches? This is one area I am completely stupid on and would like some education on so I know what to buy without wasting my money.

Thanks, Lee

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Deere made a cat "0" 3 point hitch for the 400. No cat. "I" was availble from the factory. As mentioned above, there are aftermarket hitches that are different. If you are thinking of getting a regular post hole auger from a farm equipment store to fit on your 400, it won't work. Same thing for a rear tiller, you are pretty much stuck using model 400 specific attachments. Not a lot on Ebay today, but here is what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Deere-400-3-Point-Hitch-/200503242416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
I forgot to mention, the 400 PTO and its attachments are like finding hen's teeth.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
D-Dogg, thanks for the quick reply. The reason I was interested in a stock hitch was the price, $250. All the aftermarket ones I have seen are $350+ but maybe they are a better value if they can do both CL 0 and 1.

When you say capacity do you mean the size of the attachment or weight of it? I gather down ward pressure with the hitch is an important issue as well.

I assume most aftermarket attachments that need a rear PTO run at 540 RPM?

Any idea where I could source a rear PTO? I haven't seen anything on Ebay, CL, etc.

I guess to make this easier on folks, do you know of link or website that explains the in/outs of 3 point hitches? This is one area I am completely stupid on and would like some education on so I know what to buy without wasting my money.

Thanks, Lee
Lee,
As we mentioned in the subsequent replies, you are going to have a hard time finding a PTO for the 400, and then it is not the industry standard 540RPM. You'll have an even harder time finding implements. The is a hydraulic tiller available which does not require a 3PH or rear PTO.

Also the 3PHs on these tractors have no down pressure.

Here's a link to some 3PH info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_hitch

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I am a little bit more educated on this subject at this point.

I had thought the 3 point hitch for the 400 was specific to the tractor but allowed different attachments to be hooked to it. It appears that it also has to be a 400 specific attachment as well. Two ways to look at that, first they will be hard to find, but I shouldn't have a whole lot of competition if I do find one since there are not a lot of 400's floating around at there.

You are right about finding a PTO for a 400, I have been a 400 owner since April have yet to see one on Ebay or anyplace else and I look on line just about every day for 400 stuff. You would think they would pop up occasionally but apparently JD must not have sold many of them over the 7-8 year run of the tractor.

It might be time for me to start saving up for a 420 or 430 or scale down my desires of what I want a lawn tractor to do. I do like this generation of lawn tractor though...

·
Registered
443 Posts
69project, the 400 3pt is a Cat "0". I don't know if anybody makes one aftermarket as the number of tractors that can use it are limited.

Any non-powered Cat "0" attachments will fit and work fine behind a 400.

PTO powered attachments are another story though. As already mentioned, the 400 uses a real mongrel PTO speed. Deere rates it at 840 RPM, which matches nothing else in the known universe.

Deere did market a post hole auger for it, it was made by Johnson/Arps and was sold as "allied equipment" so it could be financed through Deere. I have one and I'm firmly convinced that it is just a light duty 540 RPM unit as it spins the auger awful fast compared to ones running on a 540 PTO. All that seems different is that it has the PTO coupler swapped with the right one for the 400 PTO output shaft. Speed isn't really a problem, I run mine barely off idle and there is plenty of power to twirl an 18" dia. auger.

I like my 400, using it primarily as a tillage tool with moldboard plow and disc harrow. I do have the #35 tiller and that is about unstoppable in any soil condition I have encountered.

I landed a deal on the digger and tiller, getting both for $1,000. Found them on ebay and only 4 hours from home. Keep searching on ebay, patience is the key there. You might also sign up at WeekedFreedomMachines.com as they have an active, JD only, classified ad section as well as a bunch of 400 users.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan,

Thanks for the information. Have you ever seen anyone rig up an aftermarket rear PTO to a 400 or is it just better to keep searching?

I like the FEL on your avatar, is that FEL 20 or something aftermarket? Thanks for the tip on Weekend Freedom Machines, I had forgot about their site.

Lee

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
home-boy is in Nashville and is parting out a 400 in the classifieds. Last I read he was fixing a 420 and now he's parting out a 400 so might be he's getting out of the 400 game. He's got a tiller.
The three point hitch that Joe posted a link to says it's for a 400 but it might not be. The lower arms on a 400 attach to the axle housing and that has the bolt on pieces for a 318 but then it has the bolt on top link piece that the 400 uses.
I've got an extra rear pto for the 400 but don't have the shaft. PM me and we can talk about it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The loader is a JD #20. In truth it is actually a Johnson with green paint and a Deere serial number.

If you think you might go for that PTO that CP7 has it is dead easy to get a shaft made for it. All the pieces are available here and these folks are really nice to deal with. Use a clamp type yoke on the tractor end as it cuts down on vibration a lot.

As for an aftermarket PTO there is no such thing that I know of. I suppose one could be fabricated but it would be way more money than the factory ones go for.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The headlights on my 400 are original "bug eyes" from an early 110. The main winter use I had for the tractor required headlights that you could actually see things with.

Those gnarly rear tires are 26x12.00-12 Swamp Witch ATV tires. Real deep lugs on a 6 ply carcass, amazing traction.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CP7, I sent you a PM. I had been watching that 3 pt on ebay but decided not to bid. It does look really nice with it being powder coated etc. I will see if Homeboy still has that tiller but the JD budget only goes so far these days.

Alan, thanks for the link. I gather I just need to tell them what I need and they will know what I am talking about? I was wondering if someone would be able to machine a shaft.

I was looking at the cross reference chart in the stickies and I gather the tiller I am looking for is a 35 or 35A?

Lee

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The hydraulic tiller is either 2000 rpm rear pto or belt driven off a front pto and mule drive. The 400 is a shaft driven deck. You could rig the pump to drive off the front pto shaft

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If he wants to run the 35 tiller. And the 400 is just another mower without a three point hitch. I haven't had the deck on mine in a few years. You know every one talks bad about the 400 but it's really just the blade or a snow blower and they're not that hard to find. I've even got a sweepster broom for mine. Awesome machines.

·
Registered
443 Posts
While the Reugg hitches are very good quality you would still need one specific to the 400. While the lift arms would probably be usable the rockshaft is completely different between the 400 and the 300-400 series tractors.

Lee, PTO shafts are not machined, they are built from standardized components. It is actually quite surprising how cheap they are, primarily due to the standardizing.

Yes, the correct tiller will be a 35 or 35a. There were only small changes between them. They share tines with the later Model 48 which looks very similar but uses 2,000 RPM input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts