My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

so i expressed some interest on the forum regarding "plow day" and im ready to start putting the pcs together.

So, seems like Ruegg is the way to go regarding 3 points. I spoke to Bill today as i heard mentioned that there is a cat 0 / cat 1 limited hitch available. And, it is infact orderable. ( even tho it isnt on his website )

What are your thoughts? is there an advantage to getting the cat 0 / cat 1 limited hitch ?

·
Mountain Man
69 Posts
I just installed a Ruegg Cat 1 limited on my X475 loves this thing everything fit like a glove very heavy duty.

The Cat 1 limited has a wider variety of things you can hook on it.
The arms sit farther apart than the Cat 0.
Not sure what you are putting it on but if you can go cat 1 limited that's what i would do, you never know what you might want to do in the future and this will kind of future proof it for you.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
If you can get cat one do so,it may only be cat 0 for the 425-455

·
Registered
293 Posts
i went cat 0. some, if not most, implements were too big running cat 0 for my 316k. i used the cad plans on wfm and had the local welding shop build it. turned out great. here is a couple pics. first is when they were building it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.. I am interested In a 10 or 12" plow. Would also like to maybe put a small box blade and a small sprayer. I think the capability of both would add versatility .

Please keep your input coming!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone running a 3 point aerator?

·
Registered
293 Posts
if you got a welder and some tools you can make your own plow. i built this one out of a horse drawn walk behind plow. a friend found it in a shelter belt on some property he bought and was going to scrap it so i got it for free. free is the best stuff. :fing32: i just cut the front off of it to match the length i wanted and built a 3 point support. it works great. its 14" and a buggar to pull without weight and ag tires but the old 316k did it. it pulls alot better now with the ags filled with fluid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Are you installing on your 425 or other?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bill does make a cat o and 1 for the 425-455, You can call him or look on ebay, He sells both on ebay but usually he will knock a couple dollars off if you order direct from him.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you're considering a Ruegg hitch for your 425, you may have issues if you also have a PTO and/or utilize CAT 1 attachments that connect directly to the rock shaft's link arm pin, without utilizing the adjustable upper link.

I've purchased two Ruegg CAT 1 3-points for 455s. The first was a number of years ago, Early CAT 1 Photo, and the second, Late CAT 1, was last fall. The first hitch has worked well all these years with no issues. The second hitch, however, immediately presented issues--before installation was complete.

The later hitch's left lift arm would hit the PTO selector level when in the full up position, not allowing it to be moved. It was putting enough force against the knob where it would only be a matter of time before it damaged the knob. It appeared to be an issue with the lift arm position on the rock shaft being too high. This was also evident as the lift arm would hit the frame when full up, acting as unintended up stop.

The other issue I had with the later hitch was that the rock shift upper link arms were sized and spaced for a CAT 0 pin and arm. The adjustable upper link had a CAT 0 eyelet on one end and a CAT 1 eyelet on the other end. This created an issue if an attachment did not utilize the upper link, such as a post hole auger. It wasn't just the smaller pin diameter, but the spacing between the rock shaft pin arms was also narrower than the CAT 1 eyelet. So even if you utilized a reducing bushing to get around the pin diameter, a CAT 1 eyelet was still too wide for the arm spacing.

Bill is a man of his word and his satisfaction guaranteed promise. He had an early version CAT 1 hitch for a 4X5 that had been returned, but not re-sold due to the paint being chipped up during shipping. He re-powder coated the early version hitch and sent it out to replace the later version. Bill took care of all the shipping charges.

If either of my issues could be an issue for you, you may want to check with Bill to determine if he has made revisions to correct these issues.

Hold mouse pointer over image for description:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you installing on your 425 or other?

Martincom Sorry for the late response, just got home. It's a 420 tractor I'm purchasing this for

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
437 Posts
For the 420 get the cat 1. There are bushings that allow cat 0 hook up no problem.

There are many more cat 1 things available at less cost then for cat 0 that the 420 can handle. Disc, blades, box blades etc.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The Reugg hitch is question swaps back and forth from Cat 1 to Cat 0. If he gets that one he can get any of the attachments for either

1 - 18 of 18 Posts