My Tractor Forum banner

3 Mowing Calculators

23781 Views 26 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Quads
A few days back someone asked a question mowing time with various sized decks. I got to thinking it would be nice to have an Excel sheet, where you could fill in the blanks about mower size, speed, lot size, plus some other variables. With some help from my son, I think we came up with something that some people will find useful.

You just click on the link that Simple_John posted. It will give you a chance to either download the calculator, or just open it up. Fill in the blanks as shown, and it should give you the time, in minutes, that it will take you to complete your mowing.

Couple of notes.

1. Speed. You have to know how many feet per second you will be mowing. This calculator was based on a push mower, but it's easy enough to figure for a rider.

2. Effectiveness. Doubt that anyone is 100% effective. That is for your overlap area, and can also take into consideration of lawn obstacles such as trees, fences, childrens toys, etc.

If you scroll thru this thread you will find an updated mowing calculator, as well as a smartphone calculator. Give them all a try!

Hope this helps out! Let me know if you have any questions.

Mowing Calculator
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Re: Mowing Time Calculator

No variable for beer, bathroom & pizza breaks?

I'm blessed with 5 elderly women customers that ask me to take a "look at this sometime you get a chance" MIL included when i come to cut their lawns. I usally try to tend to the problem while i'm there, no need to come back. Happy to help these gals out but it is also i have to consider in my timeline. Your calculater is very helpful though.

When I showed my wife what I had put together, she asked the same question. All I could say was, those would be categorized in the "Load and Unload" criteria...

thats why my grass cutter has a horn:ROF honk, honk means, beer me next lap!

nicely done! :congrats:

:ROF :ROF slkpk

Nice calculator. It takes me about 2.5 - 3 hours as I just take my time and relax. If I'm in a hurry I can be done in about 1.75 hours for 3 acres. slkpk

Nicely done and useful.
Since area to be cut is usually noted in acres when I am, (1/4; 1/2; 3/4; & so forth), it may be helpful to add a conversion table on the side of the permanent form.
EX 1 acre = 43560 sq ft
3/4 acre = 32670 sq ft
1/2 acre = 21780 sq ft
1/4 acre = 10890 sq ft

multiples of acres could be determined by simple multiplication. This would help to fill in the sq ft to be mowed field.
Rgds,

I can't open it

:thanku: VERY helpful!

I can't open it
You must not have Excel on your computer. What you can do is download it, then upload it into Google Docs. I think it will work that way.

Cool Spreadsheet!

One word. AWESOME!

:bump9:The Mowing calculator is new and improved!! :thanku: Brad...

Check it out :fing32:

OK, Ladies and Gentlemen, check this out! My thanks to Mr. Vanderdecken for adding some very good info to my original calculator, which makes it much more user friendly, and to Simple_John for giving the space and posting this file. I think that you will find its enhancements very helpful.

Check what out ?? ( no link)
Nice job but it doesn't give any information just formulas.
APPLEWORKS opens it, but doesn't do anything., I have no idea how it works but I like the green and yellow colors:ROF

In my mind all other variables being equal with the increase in cutting width from 48" to 54" = (approx 12.5%) , I would assume the same in time savings .....approx 12.5%. But I could be wrong .

Link to the calculator.

Opens with Excel. Fill in the blanks for the information.

Mowing 1 acre with a 48 inch mower at 4.5 mph will take 50 1/2 minutes. Now, with a 54 inch deck you are going to have a bit more effectiveness, in percentages, than with a 48 inch deck. But, for the sake of comparison, with the same speed and effectiveness, a 54 inch deck will take 44.9 minutes, for about a 12% increase.

by the time i figured that out i could have mowed my yard and drank three beers . ( i have a two beer yard)
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.