My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind broke the top out of a small tree behind the house a few days ago. My old Craftsman hasn't been used for a while so I thought I'd try to get it ready to use. After 40 years the bar nuts we're rounded off, I got some new 5/16-24 flange nuts. I've owned this saw for 30 years and can't remember the last time the plug was changed so I got a new CJ6 for it. I have a parts saw that I picked up a few years ago that has a bad coil. I doubt they still make them. This Craftsman and a Homelite XL12 are the oldest saws I have.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was running and cutting good 6 months ago then It became hard to start. After changing the bar nuts and plug I had to use a shot of carb cleaner to get it started and it would not idle. I've never had the carb (Tillotson I believe) apart or changed fuel lines or fuel filter. I've changed lines and filters on a few Poulans but I'll have to figure out what's where on this one. I'm hoping the carb will be a lot like the Walbro's and Zama's I've worked on before. Admittedly I don't have a 100% success rate on 2 cycle carbs. My brother bought this saw new and used it 3 or 4 years then sold it to me. I've used it over 30 years and if it never cuts again I don't have room to complain.
Cannon

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a few of those saws and I get along great with them. But now after every cutting I have to drain the gas and run them dry. Like some have said about this new gas, the carb just may need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Never had one of the Ropers. I’ve had a bunch of old XL12 series, really like them. I have a 1968 Blue XL12 and a Red Super XLAO, both great runners.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fished the fuel filter out of the tank today. It was nasty and the fuel line had turned to mush. I started taking it apart to figure out how to change the line. It sure is nasty inside the covers. It's way over due for a cleaning.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a little time to do some cleaning and disassembly this afternoon. I still haven't found where the fuel line goes in the tank. My drive sprocket is in pretty bad shape. I need to figure out how to get the clutch off. Sears probably still has those sprockets. 😂
Cannon

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had 3 of those saws a couple years ago and sold them all to a friend, good saws when they would run. Mine when it was hot out and you would shut it off it wouldn't restart until it was cooled down. Also Sears has very little parts available for those saws, that's why I had 2 spare saws for parts.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to get the clutch off today. I tried to use my cheapo pin wrench but it just bent. I noticed that I have a few vertical lines on the piston. I'm beginning to wonder if this thing is worth the trouble. Counting this one I have 4 running Chainsaws, Wonder if 3 is enough for a 70 year old man. My wife says I don't need any.

Cannon

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Oh come on, don't sound pessimistic, of course you need them. I'm 65 and bought 19 saws this year, all but one were over 70 CC's, and 5 were over 100 CC's.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the model number up on Sears parts. They have almost nothing for these saws. I have a 46cc Craftsman/poulan that is lighter and there still parts for it. Also have a husky 359 that is big enough to cut anything I need. I do have 2 Homelite EZ's that are in good shape with bad coils.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have a couple Super EZ's and I think they are one of the most under rated saws out there. We used them back in the 70's and they just worked way above their pay grade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts