My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it wasn't quite $3. $3ish + a 1.99 spark plug and a $2.99 can of carb cleaner. So about $10 total with tax!

A while back I bought a lot of 7 F series mowers for $20 and this is one of them that I thought had a bad engine. This mower has had a hard life as it used to be an A-Z rental mower.

Well today I decided to tinker with this one (the first of the seven I have messed with) because it is the only one with a working recoil mechanism. I didn't think I would get too far. The engine was seized when I picked it up in December but I dumped a little ATF +4 transmission oil in the cylinder just for kicks the day I purchased it and reinstalled the old spark plug for storage.

I pulled the recoil today and the engine spun over smoothly! The transmission fluid must have done the trick and cleaned all the rust/corrosion from the cylinder. The engine felt like it had good compression so I proceeded to install a new spark plug, clean the rust off the coil and flywheel, clean the carb, and pour in some fresh gas.

I pulled the starter rope a few times and it fired! I pulled the rope again and it fired and stayed running! It runs great. I mowed some thick grass with it tonight and it mowed like a champ even though the blade is so dull and rusty I can't tell which end is supposed to be sharp. The blade is also badly out of balance. This 7268 hasn't ran in about 15-20 years according to the previous owner. When I purchased the lot of 7 the mowers had all been sitting so long they sank about 2 inches into the dirt and grass was grown up around all of them.

Anyways here is a picture. It is rough but runs strong and mows well. I think I will keep it around for some trim work and use it as a "beater mower". I may go through the motor at a later date.

I must say these vader shroud 7268's and 5247's are in my opinion the best Lawn Boys ever made when it comes to reliability, versatility, and simplicity.

:trink39:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good story! Love my '79 7268. Id agree that the pre compliance, non SP, F mowers are some of the best LB's overall. Light weight, good power, parts are available, and they're so simple!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great find! I used to mow for our landlord with one like that but self-propelled where I used to live. I'd just lock the s.p. handle forward so it wouldn't be used. Had a small yard to mow with it, so s.p. was pretty much pointless. The only thing I had to do to the mower was replace the recoil assembly. I think I mowed for him for at least 12 years before we moved, and he got it used from one of his friends. Would have loved to take that Lawnboy with me when we moved...

L8R,
Matt

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great find! I used to mow for our landlord with one like that but self-propelled where I used to live. I'd just lock the s.p. handle forward so it wouldn't be used. Had a small yard to mow with it, so s.p. was pretty much pointless. The only thing I had to do to the mower was replace the recoil assembly. I think I mowed for him for at least 12 years before we moved, and he got it used from one of his friends. Would have loved to take that Lawnboy with me when we moved...

L8R,
Matt
Nice! I have two that are self propelled and both projects. Neither of them have functional self propel "capstan" drive systems. Neither of them run yet either. The only working salvagable self propelled Lawnboy I have ran across has been the bricktop in my avatar.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
my 7268 was a dream machine for me back in the early to mid 80s when I bought it new. I took great care of it because it was so expensive for me. When I went back into the Army in 88 I left it with my brother in law who straight gassed it first day of use and threw it away while I was gone to school. I was so sad and mad. It was a great mower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts