My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 2WD x700 series get enough traction to effectively use a FEL? The only thing I would use it for is to move loose dirt and mulch from one area to another.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I had a 425 with FEL, rear wheel weights and no other weights other than MFA and it did a good job. If I had it to do over again I would get more weights for the rear end. Do you need a FEL or Johnny Bucket. DO you need the lift of the FEL. If not and your moving stuff from point a-b then a JBSR would do you for less money. Think about it before you buy. slkpk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I had a deal on a used 728 but when I went back it was gone. So now I am trying to figure out if a 720 would due because they are cheaper and there seems to be alot more used ones around. The only thing I would use the attachment for is scooping up lose dirt and mulch and moving from point A to point B in my little but hilly 3 acre plot. 95% of my use with this tractor will be for mowing. The Johnny Bucket SR as I understand fits to the front bumper in effect rather than to the mid point of the frame. I tried the X700 series and they are so comfortable I am becoming more and more disatisfied withth my 20+ year old 265.

·
Super Moderator
16,355 Posts
I have used a 45loader on my X485 for the last 6 years I have not had any traction issues with it. I have never had to use Diff/lock when using the loader. Have only used Diff/lock once and that was with the 54inch blade dozing some gravel. I have a few steep hills on my 5&1/2acres place. You can dig with the bucket if you get a tooth bar for it from Markham welding and it does a good job as well. Prior to the X485 with 45loader. I had a 425 with 40loader and it preformed Just as well. I also have a White GT2055 with a kwick-Way Loader Which is a good loader tractor but It doesn't have power steering which is a must on the smaller tractors using these small loaders. If you don't need to lift dirt or material over obsticels or load a truck. Then the Johhny Bucket will be fine for your needs. The 45loader costs $3,306.00 with Regenerative Bucket Kit. The Johnny Bucket Sr costs $1,514.95 with Shipping and the JD Tractor shovel costs $1,977.95 That includes the Front Quick-Hitch,Angle cylinder,54inch blade,Lockout Valve & Shovel Plate. Here's the Johnny Bucket Link http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Sr_John_Deere_300-400.htm Here's the Tractor shovel http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/Attachment?attNmbr=LP54000&prodNmbr=SKU21805&tM=HO and heres the 45Loader http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/Attachment?attNmbr=3990M&prodNmbr=SKU21805&tM=HO I personally like the 45 loader But it might be over kill for your current Need's. But the 45 loader will give you more versitality over the Johnny Bucket SR. I Have the Cat1 Weight Box wish I had gotten the Click and Go Weight Box. I use the Weight Box when I have 17 yard's of materiel to move or a Basicly a full Tractor Trailer Dump Truck or I use the click and go weight Bracket with 6 weights for Quick or small loader Jobs. Hope this helps. :thThumbsU

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
The answer is yes, but I recommend you keep an eye out for a weight box, or some suitcase weights for it. I said the same thing when I purchased a 44 loader for my 318. I was going to use it to haul mulch around the yard. The next thing I knew, I was spreading two semi-loads of black dirt for my brother.

On another note, I pulled the trigger on an almost new 45 loader, for my X729 today. It will be interesting to see how it works with AWS.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I like my Or-Bilt on my 2wd 318.
http://or-bilt.com/OR-BILT_49_Loader.html

You're not going to move full buckets of wet clay at a time, but for lighter stuff it gets the job done. It cost just a bit more than a JBSr, and you have the advantage of lift.

Of course if you have the money, the 45 would be the way to go.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
The answer is yes, but I recommend you keep an eye out for a weight box, or some suitcase weights for it. I said the same thing when I purchased a 44 loader for my 318. I was going to use it to haul mulch around the yard. The next thing I knew, I was spreading two semi-loads of black dirt for my brother.

On another note, I pulled the trigger on an almost new 45 loader, for my X729 today. It will be interesting to see how it works with AWS.
Please post some pics of it. Just be carefull when turning and you should be OK. :goodl: with it. slkpk

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I'm picking it up this afternoon. I must say, my 44 loader feels unstable at times when the bucket is raised, and I never came close to rolling it over. I don't think I will have any problems with the 45 and AWS. Will post some pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saleen 49,

Where did you find a used 45 loader? I know about machine finder, tractor house. Are there others I should be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
16,355 Posts
Crabgrass There were a few used 45loader's on Machine finder.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
There were two of them on Ebay this week. I won mine for 2,175, and had to drive 126 miles to Kokomo Indiana to get it today. The other one was in St. Louis, and went for 2,501. The one I purchased came off of an X720.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts