My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a Ford 2N on display at the Reynold's-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin Alberta that has an 'extra' lever mounted on the bell-housing left hand side just above the clutch lever. I have never noticed this lever before on an "N" series tractor.

Can anyone tell me what's it's purpose???

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats the Sherman tranny. It has 3 setting Low straight and high giving that 3speed 3 rev. gears and 9 forward gears. Awesome wish mine had one

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
That is an auxillary (a Sherman over/under, I believe) transmission shifter.

There were several manufacturers (Sherman, Hupp and Everett come to mind) that made auxillary transmissions for the N's. There were under-drive (probably the least common), over-drive (probably the most common) and combination (over/under) transmissions. The under and over drive tranmissions just gave you a low or high "range" of your standard transmission (so 6 forwards and 2 reverses on a 9N or 2N... and 8 forwards and 2 reverses for an 8N) and a combination would give you 9/3 (9N and 2N) or 12/3 (8N) gears.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That one is an overdrive only like on my 2N,The lever is different than the over/under.If you don't remember you left it in the center position,you'll think your clutch went out.Don't ask me how I know!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey Sarge, I'm right there with you - it was even more embarrassing 'cause the neighbors were lined up for hayrides!

Anyone know if you can convert a stepup to a hi/low unit with a gear swap?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I think the only thing you can use is the case but not real sure about that. In any case for the cost to convert you could buy a complete one.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
That one is an overdrive only like on my 2N,The lever is different than the over/under.If you don't remember you left it in the center position,you'll think your clutch went out.Don't ask me how I know!!
The step- down trans lever will be in the same position. Most of the tranny where the step-up. The step down are getting harder to find. The only way I know, without running the tractor, is by looking at the color. Red is the step down. and gray is the step-up. You can also look at the output shaft gear. Step-up 18 teeth step-down 28 teeth.
Now the creeper trans is a whole nother story but then that handle look like the combo J handle. I've seen them on ebay but never ran across one myself.

A friend of mine spent a lot of money to restore his Jubilee and everytime I see it at a show I slip his sherman combo in nuetral. When he jumps on his tractor for the parade and lets the clutch out and nothing happens it's worth it just to see the look on his face until he relies that I've been there and he just shakes his head and moves the lever. I know I'm cruel but it is fun to watch.

Kirk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts