My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the manifold and exhaust pipe on my 2n. While I had the carb off I took it apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Now when it started, it only ran for about 8 minutes or so then cut off. It back fired about three times while it was running. Its getting fuel to the carb. Now I can't get it to start at all. Even when pull starting? Thanks for suggestions!

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Did you, perhaps, get the venturi in upside down (or forget to put it in at all :hide: don't ask)?

How about the gasket between the carb and the manifold?

Hate to ask "stupid questions" but did you get all of your linkages back on right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you, perhaps, get the venturi in upside down (or forget to put it in at all :hide: don't ask)?

How about the gasket between the carb and the manifold?

Hate to ask "stupid questions" but did you get all of your linkages back on right?
I thought i might have had the linkage wrong. I checked it and it was ok. The gasket between the carb and manifold, check. The venturi ? I think so. The confusing thing is that i drove it around for a while and it slowly died out. I restarted it, ran a while and then died out again? Then it wouldnt start at all.:banghead3

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
pull the plug on the bottom of the carb and let fuel drain into a glass jar.. if there is only a dribble or drip.. you have a fuel obstruction.

post back.

soundguy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Backfire is an overly lean air/fuel ratio. On my first few carb rebuilds, every time I would put it back together a little rust or something would get in and clog the main jet. Stick a tube off a spray can of carb cleaner down the main jet tube and sray cleaner opposite of fuel flow (protect those eyes - it will shoot back). This usually fixes this issue and only takes a few minutes to do.

Next - replaced the manifold eh? These new manifolds today are from the land of "almost right". I had to hake an angle grinder to mine just to clean up the slag and mating areas. Your lean condition very well could be air sucking in between the manifold and gasket. Coat BOTH sides of the manifold gasket with some Permatex Ultra Copper high temp silicone RTV gasket maker. This stuff works great, can take the heat, and seals those "imperfections" in the manifold and block sealing area.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the drain plug on the carb, its getting plenty of gas. Your right about the manifold. I thought I got a dud. I had a heck of a time getting the far right nut on! I will check the gaskets next. Thanks everybody!

·
Banned
635 Posts
Then make sure yer getting fire to all of yer plugs. :)

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sounds like ignition problems to me, just unlucky it followed fixing the manifold/carb making you think it was related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, It was an ignition problem. It wasn't firing all the time due to a loose wire out of the switch. Now it runs about a minute and cuts off? It starts fine and then the governer seems to shift toward the carb shutting down the motor. Hopefully this is a easy fix. Thanks for your help once again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts