My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jd 285 with a bad transmission. The transmission is a BDL-21L-200. I found one on eBay that is a BDL 21-206. They look alike but I don’t knew what the difference would be or could I replace with this one. Any one know the differance

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
I would suggest either looking up the parts list for it (if it's a hydrogear bdl-21L), then see if the parts are the same between them. Or you could directly contact hydrogear and ask...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, in my owners manual they list 245,265 and 285. This one on eBay says it’s from a 265 . Only difference is mine says 200 and other is 206 from a 265..

·
Super Moderator
15,876 Posts
It should Bolt right In if it from a Deere 265 Smashfoot (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Both transmissions on eBay are 21-206 and mine is 21-200. I can’t fine out what the last number means or if would make any difference. On tractor data it says both take a 21...

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
I would expect it to bolt in, but it could possibly have a different pump shaft, port setup, control shaft size, things like that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got my JD265 a few months ago (my first hydro!) and I haven't become "acquainted" with it yet. Things to check? - Drive belt good, Hydro pump turns when running, Hydro control linkage working normally, parking brake not on, the mysterious "bypass" valve not stuck open. This is what I would guess should be checked. If all looks right, I'd put tractor the on jack stands and see if the rear wheels turn without having to move a load, actually probably only one wheel will turn - open differential. Did I forget anything?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got my JD265 a few months ago (my first hydro!) and I haven't become "acquainted" with it yet. Things to check? - Drive belt good, Hydro pump turns when running, Hydro control linkage working normally, parking brake not on, the mysterious "bypass" valve not stuck open. This is what I would guess should be checked. If all looks right, I'd put tractor the on jack stands and see if the rear wheels turn without having to move a load, actually probably only one wheel will turn - open differential. Did I forget anything?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my son was using it and he said it went bang, then it would hardly move. When i got on it it would not move. So I yanked it out and now I’m looking for a used one.. As you can see with my other post no one knows the difference between the 200 and the 206. I know they used 200,202 and 206 in the 285 .So tomorrow I’m going to call a dealer..... So thanks for your reply ,I appreciate it..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks smashfoot, What was your son doing with the JD when it went Bang? A bang sounds like a broken belt or a broken gear, shaft, or sheared pin in the hydro/drive unit.
Can anyone tell me if there is a shear pin in the hydro unit? And what generally goes "Bang!" when popping wheelies or pulling stumps with the JD 285 line of tractors?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, I called two dealers today no one can give me a answer. So I found a few on eBay $299 shipped guess I bite the bullet. I think some thing in side broke . At some point I will open it up.7

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well that brings up another question to the Group. Has anyone had a catastrophic failure in a BDU-21 trans-axle, what usually breaks inside?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts