My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 27 HP Craftsman Garden Tractor and it smoke's when I start it , run it and it has fouled out the right bank plug twice . I have a service contract on it thru Sears and the srevice guy came out and told me that the crankcase breather was causing it so he ordered the breather for me and He said that would fix it , NOT!!!
So he's coming back to do something else , what is really wrong with it . is there any common problem with these engines i should know about plmk
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Yes. The bad cylinder has probably experienced head gasket failure. Oil will be burned in that cylinder, and combustion pressure will find its way into the crankcase giving you your breather problem.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Head gasket failure for sure.

The tech should do a compression and leakdown test to confirm, likely compression will be high, around 160 on both jugs with the right one being slightly lower...

The leakdown test should show the left cylinder at 2" leakdown or thereabouts, and the right one over 50% leakdown or better.

The fix is a new head gasket kit from kohler with upgraded gasket and bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info , we'll see what the tech says tomorrow afternoon. I had a friend of mine tell me this 2 weeks ago which i passed along to the tech but he told me that putting the crankcase filter on it would fix it ,
But I've been in the automotive parts line for over 30 yrs and I know enough that it would not fix it , but he said sears had a system to follow and thats what he was doing . Once Again Thanks for the info

·
Registered
253 Posts
Red I,ve got a 25 hp command going through oil an smokeing on start up as well . I bought the head gasket set for both sides today . I was surprized though to find that the kits had new head bolts. I thought the fix was to change over to studs an nuts because of the higher torque that can be applied to the stud type with nuts ? An what do I need to know about the crankcase breather to put it in proper working order when I do these head gaskets. Oh this machine is one of the 04,s that had issues its just got 260hrs on it . Its smoked from day one if parked down hill but its gotten worse this year an started useing oil .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to give you all a update, The service man can last wens, and I told him again about the head gasket being blown and he tells me that its is a cracked ring or the cyl is junk . So now he tells me he going to repalce the engine, which I said Great!! Until he tells me their going to put a reman, eng on my Tractor that has less 260 hrs on it , I ask him who made that call and he said it was the srevice contract center people . So I call them and they passed the buck back to the tech, I'm I correct in wanting a new engine since I paid $700.00 last june for a 3 yrs contract. plmk what you all think
Thanks N AdVANCE

·
JD318
990 Posts
They probably have it in their "fine print" somewhere, that they can determine what engine to use. Better check your contract.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I would have to question the idea of a "re-man". Perhaps he meant to say a new shortblock. In any case, if you're at all mechanically inclined, this is not a difficult repair. Just make sure you can loosen the 5MM bolts that hold the
blower housing on. I've done this before on Sears products with the engine in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I rec'ed my NEW ENGINE today it was shipped right from KOHLER , My service tech will be here tomorrow to install it WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO:bannana: , Now I can throw my gas mask away.:congrats: Thanks For all The help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts