My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 GT5000 w/Kohler Pro 25HP.
The motor after running for a while gets sorta tempermental. It will spit sputter surge and just lose rpms...but bounce right back. At low idle all is good, but once you rev it up is when it seems to happen.

Any ideas? Just changed: plugs, oil, air filter.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Did you check the fuel filter? Is the gas fresh? What do the spark plugs look like?

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking so I replaced the fuel filter a couple days ago and it didn't seem to help. I've got some Seafoam in the tank of gas that is in it at the moment...hoping that helps, but am at a loss at this point.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Did u check the plugs? Were they loaded with gas? All carboned up, or just normal? Has the machine been sitting a while, if so how long?

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it sat for about 8 months prior to me buying it. I've ran about 1 and 1/2 tanks of gas through her so far. I really don't want to have to pull the carb if at all possible (never been very good at tuning them).
As for the plugs...they were very white, looked like she'd been running pretty lean for quite some time.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah it sat for about 8 months prior to me buying it. I've ran about 1 and 1/2 tanks of gas through her so far. I really don't want to have to pull the carb if at all possible (never been very good at tuning them).
As for the plugs...they were very white, looked like she'd been running pretty lean for quite some time.
If you sent that much gas through it, with no change, then something definetley sticky in the carb. I would pull it and give it a good cleaning with carb cleaner. Most likely, unless the previous owner messed with it:praying: there should not be any need to tune the carb, only clean it. Just be sure to put it back together the way it came apart ( a digital camera comes in handy here if u think u might have trouble remembering.) Also, really the only thing that usually needs to be removed is the float and needle valve (since it ran 8 months ago alledgedly) clean the needle and seat up real good and chances are you'll be rolling again with no tuning:praying:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts