My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only mow a little over an acre but it seems like I am always out of gas. I have a JB and I may use it more than I think but it seems I am always going for the gas can . I had an 18 and a 20 hp before and they both seemed way easier on fuel. If I were to guess, I would say it is burning nearly 2 gallons per hour. I know it is bit bigger(1hp and 250lb) than my last tractor but do you guys notice it as well?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
My Onan in my JD is about 3 times thirstier than my old Craftsman with a bigger engine. Of course it is 10 times the tractor, so what do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Been thru this a LOT on these boards lately.
My thought is this:

They don't USE any more fuel, they just have a LOT smaller tank. I think my 1872 held about 3.5 gallons and the 2554 holds like 2.25 gallons. That is 65% of the 1872!! A little more than half. A little less than 3/4.
In actuality I think they use about the same fuel per hour. I could cut my lawn like 3-3.5 times with the 1872 between fill ups and can only cut it 2.5 times with the 2554.

If it had a 1/2-gallon tank it would REALLY use a lot of fuel ;) :ROF

One thing to think about also is the fact you have a lot less fuel to go bad if you let it sit for a long time. I think this is more the thinking of a smaller tank because this new 'gas' we have today goes bad REAL REAL FAST compared with not so long ago. Got to wonder if that wastes more fuel and subsequently pollutes more with this so-called "clean-air" gas than with older formulations of fuel.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
About 1 gal/hr constant mowing is normal for a 2544. I can easily mow my ~1.5hrs twice on one tank and that's with TONS of forward/reverse, hill climbing, etc. The very small fuel tank on these gives the allusion of using more.

Joel

·
Registered
963 Posts
Same story here as with Jmoe: ~1 gal per hour mowing. I use a lot less when snow plowing, or towing things around: somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 gal per hour.

Personally I think the tank is big enough. I top it off every time I head out, and I don't have to worry about the fuel getting old in the tank.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Fuel consumption can be computed as follows:

HP x SFC / Fuel Weight

So if we have the following:

SFC: .36 (good assumption for a small displacement air cooled engine)

HP:20 (an air-cooled engine is rated at max hp at 59 degrees. On a 80-90 degree day it makes much less - lets say 18 HP)

Weight of Fuel: 6 pounds

18 x 0.38/6 = 1.14 GPH (gallons per hour)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My old mower had 1/4 gallon larger tank and one less hp. It would seem to be pretty much an apples to apples comparison. I could easily mow twice on a tank with a good amount left over. I don't think I have ever gotten close to finishing the second mowing with the Cub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts