My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I picked up my first CC last week, a 2005 2542, and was wondering if the following is normal. If I go forward and release the forward pedal the tractor continues to roll and slows down gradually (ie, coasts), but when in reverse if I release the reverse pedal it comes to a jerking stop almost instantly. Is this normal? I was a bit surprised by the reverse behavior.

-Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 2004 GT3235 has the instant reverse stop. But, it also has instant forward stop too.

Once it stops though it will ever-so-slightly then begin to creep (only creep and only on a hard flat surface) in the direction it had been going before releasing the forward or reverse pedal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi everyone,
I picked up my first CC last week, a 2005 2542, and was wondering if the following is normal. If I go forward and release the forward pedal the tractor continues to roll and slows down gradually (ie, coasts), but when in reverse if I release the reverse pedal it comes to a jerking stop almost instantly. Is this normal? I was a bit surprised by the reverse behavior.

-Todd
From time to time mine behaves exactly the same with rolling forward slowly, other times it stops immediately. Usually that seems to occur when I let off the pedal gently vs. immediately. I have a 2010 GT2544.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 2542, it does the same as what you are talking about.Took it to dealer, said it was normal, for what thats worth.If you want to stop quick, take foot off pedal quick.Phil.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi everyone,

-Todd
OP - might be that a drop or two of lube on the drive pedal linkage would help...

·
10K and Climbin!
12,446 Posts
Ditto on the reverse problem on my 2165.. I've tried lubing it and still no joy.. I'm thinking it is a sticking hydaulic vakve in the hydro.. I havn't had time to investigate as I'm sitting here with a busted leg.. :banghead3

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That little shock absorber / gas strut attatched to the motion control linkage is supposed to prevent abrupt transitions from start/stop. I would look into that, check for slop on any of the forward/reverse mechanism and make sure it's all lubed. It should not come to a skidding stop. My 2544 was smooth on the transition, but would rarely come to a complete stop unless I gave it some reverse. Mine crept foward at times too.

Joel

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I got our 2550 to back up so so fast it'll give you whip lash until you mastered the pedal.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
hey, maybe that's another lawsuit just waiting to happen... Headlines... Tractor stops TOO good, sue MTD now!!!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts