My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was into Deere today to see how they were making out on the 2520, this is an update to my thread, No High/Lo....anyhow here is a few shots for you.

1) Poor Thing apart
2) Where this Rod goes
3) Lower is the rod that is broke, top is the new one, issue is the flat piece welded to the round rod has yet to be found so they have to take the transmission apart further
4) Where the rest of the transmission they have to take apart

According to the service manager this is not where they normally brake, in his opinion this was a poor weld. Going to be a few more days which is not good as we have a wopper of a hurricane coming and I suspect everything I own will be working day and night.

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Appreciate the update and is there any chance this will be warranty for you? slkpk

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow that looks expensive as heck. Hope there's some kind of warranty.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Well I was into Deere today to see how they were making out on the 2520, this is an update to my thread, No High/Lo....anyhow here is a few shots for you.

1) Poor Thing apart
2) Where this Rod goes
3) Lower is the rod that is broke, top is the new one, issue is the flat piece welded to the round rod has yet to be found so they have to take the transmission apart further
4) Where the rest of the transmission they have to take apart

According to the service manager this is not where they normally brake, in his opinion this was a poor weld. Going to be a few more days which is not good as we have a wopper of a hurricane coming and I suspect everything I own will be working day and night.

I feel for you, and hope either you have warranty, or Mother Deere helps out a little.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Going to be a few more days which is not good as we have a wopper of a hurricane coming and I suspect everything I own will be working day and night.
Be careful out there Andy.

Too bad about the setback. Hopefully JD may cut you some slack,eh.:fing32:

Greg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the update and is there any chance this will be warranty for you? slkpk
They are going to cover this under warranty, I am still within the hours, to be honest because this is a business, as the hours eat up warranty, each machine except the 790 will be traded.

In case you are wondering as I hate hearing "this is not where they normal brake" to me that means there is an issue, anyhow look at the new one, on the right side you will see two cut in's, one is for an O ring, the one to the left of it is where they brake, I am told.

This is a very expensive repair, three days work and the mechanic is a good friend and knows these things inside out.

It's been tough without here, I have been running a 3320 with my crew this week, there is no question it will out pull the 2520 with the box blade but man it's so friggin big for landscaping, it's mainly used in the woods as the thing seems to go anywhere with great clearance but around clients property it takes some getting use to again.

As for the hurricane, it looks like a CAT 1 but my place is in the eye, issue is a major hurricane we had a few years ago dropped over a million trees, the ones left standing are for the most part still very weak, every wind we get has major downfall's, is we get the winds they are calling for (140 kph) this area will be a mess.

I have enough fuel to run everything we own for 5 days straight including the excavators and trucks, I hope by then at least something will be open, I have the generator at the house ready to go, bought a pile of food and water and have 20 staff ready to go, spare chains for 7 chainsaws, two sets of sharp blades for each chipper.....in short I took one of the smaller landscape trailers to town this evening and filled it with supplies. If anything brakes, the asst. manager at Deer lives 2 min from me and is a very close friend, the store is about 10 min away....so bring it on and get it over with.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
They are going to cover this under warranty, I am still within the hours, to be honest because this is a business, as the hours eat up warranty, each machine except the 790 will be traded.

In case you are wondering as I hate hearing "this is not where they normal brake" to me that means there is an issue, anyhow look at the new one, on the right side you will see two cut in's, one is for an O ring, the one to the left of it is where they brake, I am told.

This is a very expensive repair, three days work and the mechanic is a good friend and knows these things inside out.

It's been tough without here, I have been running a 3320 with my crew this week, there is no question it will out pull the 2520 with the box blade but man it's so friggin big for landscaping, it's mainly used in the woods as the thing seems to go anywhere with great clearance but around clients property it takes some getting use to again.

As for the hurricane, it looks like a CAT 1 but my place is in the eye, issue is a major hurricane we had a few years ago dropped over a million trees, the ones left standing are for the most part still very weak, every wind we get has major downfall's, is we get the winds they are calling for (140 kph) this area will be a mess.

I have enough fuel to run everything we own for 5 days straight including the excavators and trucks, I hope by then at least something will be open, I have the generator at the house ready to go, bought a pile of food and water and have 20 staff ready to go, spare chains for 7 chainsaws, two sets of sharp blades for each chipper.....in short I took one of the smaller landscape trailers to town this evening and filled it with supplies. If anything brakes, the asst. manager at Deer lives 2 min from me and is a very close friend, the store is about 10 min away....so bring it on and get it over with.
Andy, sorry about the 2520 repair.

As for the hurricane - stay safe. We've been through some down here (and hoping this one stays offshore so we don't have to live thorough another).

One suggestion I have is to stock up on ice if there's any left to be had. Fill your coolers. Also, put some big water jugs in the freezer and let them freeze overnight, then move them to the fridge and add some more water jugs to the freezer. Basically, the idea is to get the fridge/freezer as full and cold as you can before the power goes out. Even if you have a generator, this will help reduce the load.

Again, stay safe (indoors), and we'll all be hoping this Earl hooks east and stays away from New England and Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Every time you do anything with the tractor you must shift.Waht if you took away the safty switch ,use the e-brake and always leave in gear .This would save the wear on the shift lever,would that work.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Batten down the hatches and stay safe. slkpk

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Every time you do anything with the tractor you must shift.Waht if you took away the safty switch ,use the e-brake and always leave in gear .This would save the wear on the shift lever,would that work.
I would think not. The reason is you still need to shift from high to low in some situations as in going from FEL work and you dumped the load and you want to go to the other side of the property you need the switch from low to high. Picframer's situation as a contractor his insurance and government regulations probably would not allow the defeating of the safety switch. The safety switch that demands that the operator is in neutral to start is probably for the best that it is kept. I also concur that it is likely that it was actually a defect in manufacturing the part as there are thousands of these tractors out on the market and the dealer stated it is the first time they have seen this particular defect.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would think not. The reason is you still need to shift from high to low in some situations as in going from FEL work and you dumped the load and you want to go to the other side of the property you need the switch from low to high. Picframer's situation as a contractor his insurance and government regulations probably would not allow the defeating of the safety switch. The safety switch that demands that the operator is in neutral to start is probably for the best that it is kept. I also concur that it is likely that it was actually a defect in manufacturing the part as there are thousands of these tractors out on the market and the dealer stated it is the first time they have seen this particular defect.
Although I am normally the one operating this machine, Lo/Hi range is critical and we use both all the time, every day. As noted if I disconnected the safety switch and something happened, Occupational Health and Safety would have my you know what's. I leave everything as is is on all equipment no matter how much of a PITA it may seem to be, it might be fine if I was the only one operating a piece of gear all the time but that is not the case, and honestly even after 30+ years of driving tractors, I will make mistakes and have been thankful a few times a safety was in place.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went in today to get some supplies for this storm, OMG she is apart even further, they found the broken piece in the transmission however to get there some things were stuck, had to be cut and are now on order......

Attachments

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Holy crap Andy!

I'm glad that's warranty work, otherwise.... You'd need the super sized can of Vaseoline! :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy crap Andy!

I'm glad that's warranty work, otherwise.... You'd need the super sized can of Vaseoline! :)
I was thinking that this afternoon while moving all the gear home, I will ask what the billed cost is when they are finished, I am betting somewhere in the four grand range, probably more.

He showed me a couple of things that were stuck, he tried the heat/water trick but it wasn't working so he had to cut some things off inside the transmission, one piece was the handle for the high/lo and one was a gear, I simply went out back in case it might be ready for this weekend.

Haven't bought much in a while so I took an FS500R Stihl clearing saw, they have had this thing a long time, probably due to the cost and the 51cc engine, I don't really need it as we have four of the 130's and 250's, but we have two very large silviculture jobs so it will get put to use shortly.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Went in today to get some supplies for this storm, OMG she is apart even further, they found the broken piece in the transmission however to get there some things were stuck, had to be cut and are now on order......

WOW!! Did they say how long the wait for parts would be?

I say around $6K at minimum.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

WOW!! Did they say how long the wait for parts would be?

I say around $6K at minimum.
They are being flown in, Tuesday or Wednesday as it's a long weekend here. Amazing how much a $26.90 part is going to cost, spoke with the regional service manager and he feels it is a bad weld, there are no signs of the tractor being abused....which I already knew:)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Holy exploded view Batman!!!

A blessing that it happened now (warranty) than later.

Greg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the storm arrived a few hours ago, justthe tip, the eye will come asore about 15 min from my home, very high wind and rain, power is on and off so I went to generator, a few trees down, 29,000 without power. It was interesting to view web cams around the city, here is Peggy's Cove, about 10 min from my house, somewhat slow to load due to the storm

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south-shore/peggys-cove.html#axzz0yZBQf9hL

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just curious what would the price of a new tranny be?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts